Pride began at 11am on Saturday with an entertaining parade of various marchers and floats – who knew Nandos was as passionate about LGBT rights as its Peri Peri chicken? A highlight was, of course, Southampton’s very own gay nightclub The Edge’s float of dancers partying hard on its way along the busy streets, on what proved to be a very enjoyable day.

Brighton Gay Pride Parade 2012 Huge sound systems playing favourites from Lady Gaga and Madonna accompanied marchers in their array of costumes as they paraded through the streets of Brighton for all to see, creating a positive and highly contagious atmosphere for all involved. Around 1pm the crowds and Police (later criticised by some for their overpowering presence) followed and everyone made their way up to Preston Park, where the entertainment was about to get into full swing.

Faced with very long queues, even for pre-paid tickets, the organisation of the park event entry was questionable, but once inside the party did certainly kick off. On entering, you were first struck by the Girls on Top Pop Tent, with smoke and music blasting out – drawing in a younger crowd all day long, party-goers even queuing to gain access. Once inside, you could see why: featuring the latest songs by female chart toppers and old favourites like the Spice Girls, there were no dancing breaks for the crowd. Whilst it was good to see so many teenagers supporting the event, they were disappointingly let down by diva Alexandra Burke’s last-minute refusal to perform in a tent smaller than Fatboy Slim’s, despite her prior agreement to be placed there.

A slightly older and more varied crowd made their way to the Calabash tent – and didn’t seem to leave all day! With SBTV’s top DJ performing, there really was no other place to be. This tent began as a very small feature for Brighton Pride, and its popularity certainly grew again yesterday. Walking around the park, there was a fantastically inclusive and celebratory atmosphere, with visitors young and old and of all backgrounds participating – some in drag, surprisingly many with their pet dogs (for a more exciting walk than usual) and even more face painted, tattooed, glittered and wearing the LGBT flag in outrageous style.

The Paul Wilde Line Dancing Tent appeared to be less popular, but a huge array of other on-site features such as stalls of magazines, supports groups and cheeky products on sale and a (very scary looking) fun fair attracted attendees all day. G3 magazine stall holder Victoria Smith commented the day was: “A showcase of the community at its finest. Brighton Pride brought excitement and festivities to Preston Park.”

It seemed there was only one place to be towards the end of the day – partying hard to a phenomenal DJ set by Fatboy Slim. In fact, it was so popular the Wild Fruit Tent immediately filled up and attendees were coming out of tents elsewhere, to join the crowd outside watching on a big screen. Whilst the sun set, big tunes were danced to, including Azealia Banks’ 212 and Flo Rida’s Good Feeling cleverly remixed with Etta James, and of course I See You, Baby amongst his other chart-topping classics, which kept the atmosphere buzzing ‘til the end. Then everyone head back into the city centre, in a more drunk and disorderly fashion than the earlier parade.

Pride’s lively, welcoming atmosphere continued on into the night, following a successful event with a true festival-like feel (minus the mud); and if you weren’t there, be sure to make sure you don’t miss out on the fun next year!

Download Video from YouTube | Convert to MP3
More articles in LGBT
  1. LGBT Network gains public presence on Facebook & plans LGBT History Month
  2. Malaysian Government Performing Seminars to Teach Parents and Teachers How to Spot Gay Kids
  3. Kill the Gays – A Fight Against Ugandan Oppression
  4. Brighton Pride Review
  5. Campaign started for a Southampton Pride event
  6. Two Gay Jamaicans Contest The Island’s Homophobic Laws
  7. Media Highlights Worrying Trend Of Gay Conversion Therapy
  8. Obama’s Promise for LGBT Equality Rivals Mitt Romney’s Shocking Policies
  9. Outraged Cardinal Keith O’Brien Wins Bigot Of The Year Award
  10. Homophobia in the UK?
  11. Shocking “Call Me Kuchu” Tells Ugandan LGBT’s Tragic Struggle For Safety
  12. Cameron gets his foot stuck in it, again
  13. America Approves of the LGBT Community
  14. Kill The Gays Bill to pass as ‘Christmas gift’ to Ugandans
  15. Sir Ian McKellen Stands Up Against Homophobic Bullying
  16. Uganda Drops Death Penalty From “Kill The Gays” Bill
  17. First Gay Mosque Of Europe Opens In Paris
  18. Same-sex Marriage To Become Legal In 2013
  19. Iowa Becomes The First Public University To Ask Applicants If They Are Gay
  20. BBC Report Shows Gay TV Characters Are Under Represented
  21. Amsterdam Celebrates Drag Queen Winter Olympics 2012
  22. 10 Overlooked LGBT News Stories of 2012
  23. Berlusconi Says Yes To Gay Marriage – But Will He Keep His Word?
  24. ‘Sugar Rush’ Writer’s Bigoted Transphobia Published
  25. Hampshire ‘Top Police Force 2013′ for LGB
  26. Gay Marriage Is A ‘Category Error’
  27. The Gay Agenda Marches On
  28. Same Sex Marriage Legalised for England and Wales
  29. The Gay Best Friend Myth
  30. MPs in Uganda Pass Anti-Homosexual Bill

One Comment »

• Ben

Just sayin but this is a really poor review of an event.