Last week SUSUtv filmed the fourth Elections Lipdub, bringing candidates past and present together to celebrate and promote the Elections.

For those of you unfamiliar with the nature of a Lipdub, it’s a video where all participants lip sync along to a chosen song, with the original vocals and backing track played over the top. There are hundreds of thousands of examples all over Youtube, which have now been joined by Harlem Shakes and parodies. So how did the current SUSUtv Lipdub get to where it is today?

2010:

SUSUtv have been filming Lipdubs for the elections since 2010. This original version was where it all began, and was very different to the SUSUtv Lipdub we now know and love. There seems to be no available link, but apparently it involved many takes and didn’t take off, which explains our inability to find it!

2011:

elections 2011

Charlotte Woods, Teddy Wilkes, Billy Fitzjohn and Emily Rees start off 2011′s Lipdub

The next year, in 2011, the chosen song was Taio Cruz’s ‘Dynamite’, and was organised by one Will Hay. This is clearly the first example of the SUSUtv Lipdub as we now know it, even with the recognisable elections logo. The video opens on past  Union President Billy Fitzjohn, VP Media and Communications Charlotte Woods, VP Welfare and Societies Emily Rees and Athletic Union President Teddy Wilkes. There are a fair few familiar faces in this one! The video can be found HERE.

2011's Lipdub was the first one filmed as we know it now - but it's lack of notoriety lead to a smaller crowd than in later years.

2011′s Lipdub was the first one filmed as we know it now – but it’s lack of notoriety lead to a smaller crowd than in later years.

2012:

In 2012 SUSUtv made sure there were plenty of theatricals, with fire-breathers and a skateboard stunt on campus.

2012′s Lipdub was even more theatrical than the last, with fire breathers, societies and even a few stunts. The new route also added a more exciting dimension, and even more people got involved. One Direction’s ‘What Makes You Beautiful’ was the soundtrack to this video, and our current Sabbs can be seen cavorting around with their campaign teams. Last year’s Lipdub can be found HERE.

Last year's lipdub gained a bigger crowd and really highlighted the excitement of elections - watch out for some familiar faces!

Last year’s lipdub gained a bigger crowd and really highlighted the excitement of elections – watch out for some familiar faces!

2013:

So what do SUSUtv have planned for us this year? The team took on the task of planning the Lipdub later than usual, but the previous successes  ensured that plenty of people took part, wanting to get involved after having viewed preceding videos. The filming was open to everyone, and even SUSU advertised the event, which took place on Sunday, February 17.  Carly Rae Jepsen’s ‘Call Me Maybe’ is the soundtrack…much to the enthusiasm of many and the frustration of others. Still, it seems to have been a real success, combining the previous two years of Lipdub together to create the best one yet. The Wessex Scene has been told that it’s faster flowing, has better colours and brightness, and will be ‘amazing’!

Alastair ‘Moggy’ Mogford,  Assistant Manager of SUSUtv, told the Wessex Scene:

Having seen the footage – we are incredibly pleased with the Lipdub this year! We had great turnout, and everyone was up for such a fun time. We believe we have merged the best moments of previous years together, and hope everyone will enjoy the final result on Results Night!”

You’ll be able to view the Lipdub for the first time as it premieres at the beginning of Results Night Live, which  has become tradition with Elections coverage.

For now though, here’s a sneak peek of what you can expect:

Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 22.22.54Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 22.20.22Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 22.23.35Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 22.19.04

The Wessex Scene will be live blogging on Elections Results Night – SUSUtv will also be broadcasting the event, as well as Surge. We’ll be giving you a peek at the plans for Results Night Live later this week.

Remember to let us know what you’ve been getting up to during the Elections! Send us your photos and we’ll publish them after it’s all over! Send them along to editor@soton.ac.uk, or find us on Twitter!

More articles in SUSU Elections 2013
  1. SUSU Elections ‘Will Not Be a Popularity Contest’ This Year
  2. SUSU Election Nominations OPEN!
  3. The Big Reveal – Live Blog From The Cube
  4. SUSU Elections 2013 – Candidate Overload?
  5. Briefing Our SUSU Sabbatical Candidates
  6. Full List Of SUSU Student Leader, Trustee & Union Councillor Candidates
  7. Full List Of SUSU Sabbatical Candidates (With Interviews)
  8. Elections 2013: What Do You Think?
  9. Online Campaigning for SUSU Elections is Now Open
  10. Time Change for Election Campaigns
  11. Communities Sabb Candidate Pulls out of Elections
  12. DCI Candidates Revealed to be the Same Person
  13. Full Campaigning Now Open for Elections 2013
  14. Sabbatical Debates 2013
  15. SUSU Elections 2013 – Who’s Winning The Facebook Vote?
  16. Presidential Candidate Breaches Elections Rules
  17. SUSUtv’s Lipdub, a History and Elections 2013 Exclusive
  18. Errors Mar Opening Of SUSU Election Voting
  19. Your Election Results: What the Candidates Thought Pre Results
  20. SUSU Elections 2013: Dates & Details Announced
  21. SUSUtv Results Night Live – What Can We Expect?
  22. Only Fresher Who Cared About Elections Dies Of Exhaustion
  23. SUSU Elections 2013 – Should Sabbs Be Allowed To Re-Run?
  24. Voting Now Closed for SUSU Elections 2013
  25. SUSU Elections 2013 – A Guide To The Alternative Vote
  26. SUSU Elections Voting – One Hour Left!
  27. Your Elections: Campaigning in Pictures
  28. SUSU Elections 2013 – Who’s Got Your Vote?
  29. Your Elections: Results Night In Pictures
  30. Elections 2013: How Successful Was The New System?

4 Comments »

• Josh

2010 Lipdub can be found here:

http://old.susu.tv/videos/watch/208/Results-Night-Live-Elections-2010 at starts at 02:33:25

• Name

If my memory serves me right, I’m pretty sure 2010′s song was Black Eyed Peas ‘I gotta feeling’. That’s about all I remember though!

• Liam

The lip dub in 2010 didnt take that many takes. I was there…

Ellie Sellwood

Thank you for your comment, we’ll try and sort it out.