Soton Hub

‘Sustainability’. ‘Ethical Purchasing’. ‘Action against Climate Change’. ‘Corporate Social Responsibility’. ‘Community Action’.

Hardly a day passes when we’re not exposed to one or more of these phrases, but what is it all about? Is it really worthwhile or is it just a gimmick and business ploy to attract customers and expand ‘sustainable’ businesses? Why should we bother?

Can we change the world through our everyday actions?

If these are some of the questions you, your course mates, housemates or friends have been asking yourselves, then don’t worry: Southampton Hub is organising the ‘Sustainability Festival’ this weekend. It is the perfect opportunity to learn and engage with local charities and organisations within Southampton. You can get those questions answered, as well as find out how you can become a more responsible member of society.

Hampshire Energy, Sustrans, The Environment Centre, Greenpeace, Rice Up Wholefoods, Jake Collins – an expert in corporate social responsibility, Positive Money, Push Your Parents, Transition Southampton, a local MP and Global Documentary will all be participating in the event.

There will be lectures, workshops enabling you to get stuck in and try out some innovative ways of recycling materials and saving energy and a variety of stalls to visit throughout the day to find out more.

Date? Saturday 15th of February 2014 (this Saturday!)

Where? Building 58, Highfield Campus

Time? 10am till 5pm

Early bird tickets are £5 for students, including lunch, and can be bought from the Southampton Sustainability Hub ticket page.

Alternatively, tickets are also being sold Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in the main SUSU building between 12-2pm. If you want the tickets at a cheap price, don’t delay! They’ll cost more on the door.

Finally, there’ll be a FREE film showing on the evening of the 15th from 7.30 pm in the Bridge Bar.

The team at Southampton Hub would love to see you there! Whether you’re more of an environmentalist, social activist, economist or even a sceptic, we welcome you to join us at the event.

Find out more at: http://www.southamptonhub.org/sustainability-festival

Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/690520004314173/