Friday night marked an emotional end to a fortnight of hard work and tireless campaigning for all SUSU election candidates and their supporters. The Wessex Scene managed to catch up with this year’s sabbatical winners after results were announced…

VP Communities
Oli Coles

sudent comms

How do you feel now that you’ve won? Relieved, it feels like I can sleep now for a week.

What do you put your success down to? I’d say speaking to lots and lots of students and getting across the ways I can make their lives better next year…And my fantastic campaign team!

What is the first thing you’re going to do now that you have a second chance? I still have five months left in this role, but from Monday I am going to make sure that I properly engage with all of the sites. Tom’s helped me see that maybe I have neglected a few communities this year and I will make sure that this will not happen in the future.

Which sites need the most work? It will be interesting to see which sites voted the most, but I think that all three need equal attention.

VP Education
Sophia D’angelico

vped

How do you feel now that you’ve won? Amazing, terrific.

What do you put your success down to? My department, modern languages as a whole have been absolutely fantastic.

What is the first thing you’re going to do once you take up position? Look into the course rep system, build up recognition for them ready for when they come back in September so that they will become recognisable employable skills. I’m looking forward to hitting the ground running.

How much of your success do you attribute to ABBA? An awful, awful lot! But the song made campaigning really fun!

VP Democracy and Creative Industries
Megan Downing

dci

How do you feel now that you’ve won? Relieved. It’s been a stressful week and I’m glad it’s all over.

What do you put your success down to? Hard work. A lot of support from other people and just dedication to it.

What’s the first thing you’re going to do once you take up position? I’ll choose my desk…but try and do as best in the role as I can.

Which media department needs the most work? I’m going to say Wessex Scene because I think it has so much potential for journalism in general and I think that with a new team and a new leader you will do a lot of good things.

VP Welfare
Beckie Thomas

welfare

How do you feel now that you’ve won? Shocked…and really happy!

What do you put your success down to? All the support from my incredible friends!

What is the first thing you’re going to do now that you have a second chance? It’s hard to say because I have 4 months left! I suppose make sure that I do the stuff I want to do.

Which area in welfare do you think needs the most work? Sustainability, I will make sure all of the areas are covered in both zones and make sure I hear what students want in the well being survey.

VP Engagement
Ellie Cawthera

engage

How do you feel now that you’ve won? Overwhelmed! Really, really excited!

What do you put your success down to? Dedication and bravery.

What’s the first thing you’re going to do once you take up position? I’ll make a coffee and then Engage!

How will you engage with Winchester better? It’s all about communication, from the second they get their results they should be engaged with SUSU in the same way as Southampton students are.

VP Sports Development
Katie Lightowler

vpsport

How do you feel now that you’ve won?  Excited! Can’t wait to get properly stuck in now and involved with the sports zone alongside some incredible student leaders and a great new Sabb team!

What do you put your success down to? I think the level of support that my closest friends showed me – I would not have even gone for the role without their encouragement and belief!

What’s the first thing you’re going to do once you take up position? Talk to BUCS and re-align our fixtures so we don’t have different teams travelling to the same places but on different weeks. Getting it sorted for the start of the season in September would be awesome. Also looking at setting up an Athletic Union website.

What has been your best memory from campaign week?  During my campaign I tried to talk to as many teams as possible. The highlight was going to Calshot with the Road Cyclists and having a go on the Velodrome!

Union President
David Mendoza-Wolfson

pres

How do you feel now that you’ve won? I still can’t quite believe that I won but it feels amazing to know that thousands of students share my belief that the Union has to do more to help improve the life of every student.

What do you put your success down to? I put my success down to my incredible campaign team who were so devoted (Jamie Wilson and Emily Shepherd both worked tirelessly despite the fact that they were both running for their own elections!), as well as my manifesto which I believe was very student focused.

What’s the first thing you’re going to do once you take up position? I still have 4 months to figure that out but I think I’ll start by working with the University to create a policy saying it will prioritise students for campus jobs.

Has David Gilani given you any words of wisdom? Gilani has been amazing and supportive, and I wouldn’t have run if it weren’t for him. Since results night the wisest words I think he’s said is that it will take a few weeks to sink in! Honestly though, Gilani is an incredible President and it’s amazing working with him and I’m both excited and terrified to succeed him.

The Wessex Scene would like to send their congratulations to all of the winners of this year’s elections and to thank all candidates who have dedicated a lot of their time and hard work throughout elections fortnight.

More articles in SUSU Elections 2014
  1. SUSU Elections 2014 Candidates: The Full List
  2. VP Education Debate: Summary
  3. VP Engagement Debate: Summary
  4. Union President Candidate Withdraws from Elections
  5. VP Democracy & Creative Industries Debate: Summary
  6. VP Welfare Debate: Summary
  7. VP Communities Debate: Summary
  8. VP Sports Debate: Summary
  9. Union President Debate Liveblog 2014
  10. Second Union President Candidate Withdraws
  11. Elections Candidates Disadvantaged After Posters Arrive Late
  12. ‘Joke’ Elections Candidate Gets Serious
  13. A Quick Guide to Your VP Education Candidates
  14. A Quick Guide to Your VP Engagement Candidates
  15. VP Sports Development Candidate Withdraws
  16. A Quick Guide to Your VP Democracy and Creative Industries Candidates
  17. A Quick Guide to Your VP Sport Candidates
  18. Campaigning During SUSU Elections: The Guide
  19. A Quick Guide to Your VP Welfare Candidates
  20. Why Are You Reducing Me to a Sexual Object?: One Candidate’s Experience of Elections
  21. A Quick Guide to Your VP Student Communities Candidates
  22. A Quick Guide to Your Presidential Candidates
  23. Exit Polls: SUSU Elections 2014
  24. Nightline Officer Candidate Victim of Email Spoof
  25. Why Vote?
  26. Elections Night 2014 Liveblog
  27. Candidate Live Interviews 2014
  28. Elections 2014: Sabbatical Winners Interviews
  29. Candidates Announced For VP Student Communities By-Election
  30. Anjit Aulakh Elected as VP Student Communities

3 Comments »

• You what?

The Wessex Scene need the most work out of all the media departments?

Out of all the media departments they’re the ones who consistently get the most hits, have their articles featured on the bbc and the biggest reach within students. They definitely don’t need the most work.

Joe Taylor

The great irony that the Scene needs a new team/leadership when there isn’t even a new Edge editor to take over from the past regime. But they’re just details I guess.

• Sam Everard

Yeah, I do enjoy our new DCI’s suggestion that the Scene needs a ‘new team and a new leader’ before we can do good things. Real vote of confidence there. News to me, considering I was never contacted about Scene issues before the campaign and we weren’t even mentioned in her manifesto.