SUSU has launched the BEES project, a sustainability project that benefits students and local businesses. 

The Business, Ethics and Environment Student Programme was first launched by SUSU in February this year.

The behind the scene work began back in August 2013, when SUSU beat competition from over 100 other unions for a £175,000 funding prize from HEFCE to champion sustainability practices in local businesses.

The BEES project is not all about the typical ‘green’ aspect, but covers all elements of sustainability. So not just environmental issues, but social (buying ethical products) and economic (budgeting).

Focusing primarily on students, the project will allow them to gain confidence, communication skills, improve employability and gain contacts in the industry.

Julia Kendal, programme assistant for sustainability action at the university, said:

‘Through supporting local businesses and organisations in improving their business ethics and environmental practice, our students and staff will be a positive force for change in our city whilst simultaneously further developing their sustainability skills and understanding.’

The scheme not only supports the students’ personal development, but businesses too, by helping them to address ethical issues including living wage, investment and supply chain management.

Beckie Thomas, VP Welfare at SUSU said:

beckie thomas‘I am privileged to be working on the BEES project; where else can you take important ethical and environmental issues, gain experience working with businesses, AND develop your own skills to prepare yourself for the world of work?! ‘

‘I’m really excited to help students work with local organisations in this way; it could be transforming for the city and its people.’