Yesterday evening, SUSU hosted the first ever RAG awards to commemorate the hard work, commitment and efforts its volunteers have dedicated to helping raise so much money and awareness. With a free glass of bubbly and a selection of nibbles the event was already a great success in this reporter’s eyes, but there was a fairly large turnout of Big Give Champions, volunteers and many societies who have teamed up with RAG over the past year. There were several awards with many highly commended and winning students in the following categories:

Some of the deserving winners.

Some of the deserving winners.

The St. Mungo’s Award for the annual London raid went to Freddie Cook.

Most Committed Raider was awarded to Tim Buringham for his consistent appearance at RAG events.

Jamie Furlong was rewarded for Most Innovative Event after his ‘Dare Week’ antics, which you can watch on YouTube here.

Mr Ragglesworth just missed out on winning Most Enthusiastic Nude.

The Caving Society won the highly contested Most Enthusiastic Nude for their commitment to bearing all in the RAG Calendar (which you can still pick up from the Box Office).

Biggest Society Award went to the Comedy Society for their many fundraising efforts this year.

SUSUTV and the Wessex Scene got a cheeky award for Best Media Coverage for our collaboration in October for the RAG Zombie Chase.

The CVS Award for Outstanding Contribution to The BIG Give went to David Thorne for going above and beyond to help organise one of RAG’s biggest fundraising events of the year.

The Cake Decorating Society won Best Society Collaboration for the hundreds of tasty and beautifully decorated cakes they’ve contributed to bake sales at nearly every event.

Best Fundraising Event was awarded to the Spanish, Latin American and Portuguese Society (SLAPS) for their tequila-fuelled and feather-filled Carnival earlier this year.

It was announced that the societies who raised the money for RAG this year so far are Jazzmanix, MedSoc and the Islamic Society.

The final award was for Best Charity Volunteer and with so many dedicated and compassionate candidates to choose from, the award went to four students who have given so much to raise money and awareness for causes that truly need it. Well done to Rianna Vlierboom, Amy Hearst, Lorna Green and Gabriela Discenza for working so hard this year.

RAG Officer Alice Gray introducing the first ever RAG Award Ceremony.

Here’s what current RAG Officer Alice Gray had to say about the awards:

The RAG awards are something we have been trying to make happen for a few years now and I am so glad that we managed to make it happen. It was a brilliant night spent celebrating all the wonderful things everyone has done for RAG this year.

In the final part of the evening, next year’s elected RAG officer, Jenny Bortoluzzi, announced the three charities RAG will be raising money for, as voted by students at Southampton. With nearly 700 votes from students, the charities that RAG will be supporting next year will be:

Local charity Solent Mind who are the leading mental health charity across Hampshire and work to improve the well-being, understanding and awareness of mental health.

Teenage Cancer Trust who work with young adults to ensure that just because they have cancer, they can still have all the opportunities and memories that every teenager deserves to experience.

WaterAid who aim to provide clean, safe water to third world countries and people who do not have access to the basic human right many of us take for granted.

Thank you RAG for a lovely night and well done to all the volunteers and students who have helped support these worthy causes throughout the year. Whether organising a whole event like the Christmas Fair or simply buying a cupcake, it all goes towards raising money for those who need it.

To get involved with RAG and fundraising at University, email them at rag@susu.org or visit their website.

Images supplied by RAG Committee Member Catherine Mitchell.