#Disaster: When Twitter Campaigns Go Wrong

0

Yesterday, VH1 launched an #AskThicke Twitter Q+A, asking users to tweet questions to controversial singer Robin Thicke – and people were not kind.

In light of #AskThicke, I’ve summed up some of the best hashtag blunders from Twitter.

Via Mashable
Via Mashable

1) #AskBGHead in Hands

Back in October, British Gas innocently tweeted,

We are here with our Customer Service Director, Bert Pijls, answering your questions until 2pm #AskBG

This would have been a great idea, if, British Gas hadn’t raised their prices by 9.2% the same day.

Lee Vincent tweeted

Hi Bert, which items of furniture do you, in your humble opinion, think people should burn first this winter?

@wolftic mocked

I’m having to burn all the junk mail you send me in order to keep warm

2) #WaitroseReasons. In 2012, posh supermarket chain took to twitter asking it’s customers 

Finish the sentence: ‘I shop at Waitrose because…’ #WaitroseReasons.

Genuine responses were few and far between.

Via Twitter
Via Twitter

Waitrose store

3) #McDStories. When McDonalds USA tweeted

article-2090862-116CEF5E000005DC-982_468x125

the hashtag took off , but McDonalds customers weren’t loving it.

One time I walked into McDonalds and I could smell Type 2 diabetes floating in the air and I threw up.  – @SkipSullivan

Hospitalized for food poisoning after eating McDonalds in 1989. Never ate there again nd became a Vegetarian. Should have Sued #McDStories – @alice_212

Animal rights group Peta chipped in:

: Liquid chicken nuggets Who’s hungry for ?

To add the icing on the McFlurry, this was a sponsored hashtag, meaning McDonalds paid for there own demise. Maybe stick to hash browns instead McDonalds.

4) #WhyImVotingUKIP. 

In time for the EU Elections in May, The UK Independence party launched the #WhyI’mVotingUkip

ukip

The responses were so hilarious, an @WhyImVotingUkip twitter handle was set up.

guardian.co.uk
guardian.co.uk

Because I’m fed-up of foreigners coming over & denying hard-working British people the right to be Nigel Farage’s wife. – @elizabday

Because the weather’s really starting to pick up, and I don’t want it ruined by gays. – @vikkistone

because I’m pretty sure Nigel Farage is actually a Sasha Baron Cohen spoof character and I’d like to see this play out.- @Dom_Saunders

because I want to be able to pronounce the names of the people in my maths papers. – @WhyImVotingUKIP

because I know that a public school educated stockbroker is an anti establishment figure – @loveandgarbage

because voting far right and blaming minorities after an economic downturn worked so well before, let’s try that again – @YouMustBeAnna

5) #RimJob

Yes, really.BlackBerry

Blackberry, the smart phone maker launched this hashtag to promote 6000 jobs it had going in ‘Research In Motion’. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, I refer you to Urban Dictionary.

7) #susanalbumparty

This is my all-time favourite.

In November 2012, @SusanBoyleHQ used the hashtag #SusanAlbumParty to promote the Britain’s Got Talent runner up’s new album. Unfortunately for SuBo, the twitter-sphere interpreted it differently.

susanalbumparty

Politics Editor 2014-15. I'm a second year Politics and Economics student hoping to go into a career in political journalism. I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I'm also Head of News at Surge Radio, Political Editor and the Student Times, and Editor of Student Beans Southampton. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student and the Independent. When I'm not doing my degree or all things media, I enjoy binging on Netflix and eating copious amount of pizza.