Uganda, formerly known as Kampala, was a colony of the British Empire and recognised the British monarchy as their head of state. In more recent times, you will have seen Ugandan Stephen Kiprotich winning a gold medal in the men’s marathon race at the London 2012 Olympics, now seemingly overshadowed by the reintroduction of the Anti-Homosexuality Bill in Ugandan parliament.

This repugnant bill was first introduced in October 2009 by David Bahati – an MP in Ugandan parliament and for the constituency of Ndorwa West, he is also a member of the National Resistance Movement. The bill (renowned by the media as the “Kill the Gays bill”) was proposed to increase the legislative criminalisation of same-sex relations, dividing acts of homosexuality into either the “aggravated homosexuality” category whereby the so-called  offender would receive capital punishment, or “the offense of homosexuality” where the offender would receive lift imprisonment. So what are the conditions for being charged under either of these offences?

• Aggravated homosexuality would be charged where a person committing homosexual acts and is HIV-positive, is a parent or authority figure, administers intoxicating substances, homosexual acts committed with those under 18 or people with disabilities as well as repeat offenders.
  • The offense of homosexuality would be charged where a person commits a homosexual act, is involved in a homosexual marriage, or attempts to commit aggravated homosexuality.
Photo by David Robinson displays an extremely brave gay pride taking place in Entebbe, Uganda.

It is also set to be inclusive of Ugandans who engage in homosexual relations outside of Uganda, ensuring provisions be put in place that they are extradited back to Uganda, in order to receive punishment in a Ugandan court. There are also penalties for individuals, companies, media organisations, or non-governmental organisations that know any homosexuals (and fail to report them) or if they support LGBT rights (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender).

We are not targeting anybody – we are just trying to protect the majority of Ugandans from this evil.

David Bahati
Ugandan MP

Currently in Uganda, regardless of this bill being carried through, same-sex relationships are illegal and are punishable by incarceration in prison for anywhere up to 14 years. The bill was not voted on and the Ugandan parliament adjourned in May 2011, however it was reintroduced by Bahati in February 2012 and has since attracted a great deal of international pressure, with US president Barack Obama describing it as “odious”. It proved to rub salt in the wounds of the family members of murdered gay Ugandan activist David Kato, reportedly killed during a robbery, however human rights activists believe that his murder was due to his campaigns. Kato’s picture, as with many homosexuals in Uganda, had been published in a newspaper that demanded gays be executed – reinforcing Uganda’s homophobic reputation.

The west is saying that for us to give you money, we want you to accept behaviour that you abhor. President Obama [is] a man who stood on a platform of change but certainly, this is not the change the world is looking for. It is the evil the world should fight

David Bahati
Ugandan MP
David Bahati

To make matters worse – David Bahati previously attended Cardiff University and Manchester Business School before unleashing his homophobic ideology on the Ugandan people. The puerile reintroduced bill includes the drop of the death penalty and the reduction of prison sentences to between two and seven years – irrelevant of the fact that homosexuals are still being persecuted and making it appear that Bahati is in some way generous.

Needless to say that this despicable act of oppression and hate needs to be irradicated and stood up against and if you feel like making a difference, as little as it may be, at least sign this petition and speak out for equal rights.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/37302

More articles in LGBT
  1. LGBT Network gains public presence on Facebook & plans LGBT History Month
  2. Malaysian Government Performing Seminars to Teach Parents and Teachers How to Spot Gay Kids
  3. Kill the Gays – A Fight Against Ugandan Oppression
  4. Brighton Pride Review
  5. Campaign started for a Southampton Pride event
  6. Two Gay Jamaicans Contest The Island’s Homophobic Laws
  7. Media Highlights Worrying Trend Of Gay Conversion Therapy
  8. Obama’s Promise for LGBT Equality Rivals Mitt Romney’s Shocking Policies
  9. Outraged Cardinal Keith O’Brien Wins Bigot Of The Year Award
  10. Homophobia in the UK?
  11. Shocking “Call Me Kuchu” Tells Ugandan LGBT’s Tragic Struggle For Safety
  12. Cameron gets his foot stuck in it, again
  13. America Approves of the LGBT Community
  14. Kill The Gays Bill to pass as ‘Christmas gift’ to Ugandans
  15. Sir Ian McKellen Stands Up Against Homophobic Bullying
  16. Uganda Drops Death Penalty From “Kill The Gays” Bill
  17. First Gay Mosque Of Europe Opens In Paris
  18. Same-sex Marriage To Become Legal In 2013
  19. Iowa Becomes The First Public University To Ask Applicants If They Are Gay
  20. BBC Report Shows Gay TV Characters Are Under Represented
  21. Amsterdam Celebrates Drag Queen Winter Olympics 2012
  22. 10 Overlooked LGBT News Stories of 2012
  23. Berlusconi Says Yes To Gay Marriage – But Will He Keep His Word?
  24. ‘Sugar Rush’ Writer’s Bigoted Transphobia Published
  25. Hampshire ‘Top Police Force 2013′ for LGB
  26. Gay Marriage Is A ‘Category Error’
  27. The Gay Agenda Marches On
  28. Same Sex Marriage Legalised for England and Wales
  29. The Gay Best Friend Myth
  30. MPs in Uganda Pass Anti-Homosexual Bill

8 Comments »

• Joe Madden

The definition you give for “aggravated homosexuality” seems like legitimate grounds for imprisonment – not the homosexuality bit, but the rest of it. If you’re HIV-positive and in a position of authority and/or having sex with minors and giving them drugs, you definitely deserve serious retribution. I haven’t done the research, but if they’re targeting these (very reasonable) laws specifically at gays then the implication is that some/all of these behaviours are fine in a heterosexual context. Fuck that.

As for the following paragraph – I’m speechless. I’ve been to Uganda and it’s a beautiful place. To know this kind of shit is going on there is horrible. Fuck Bahati.

Jack Kanani

The laws are specifically targeted at homosexuals – you can see by David Bahati’s quote that he regards same-sex relations as an “evil”.

It appears that everytime the media outrage towards Uganda about this issue dies down, they decide to bring it all up again.

There has been more developments on this issue so look out for another article.

Zimbabwe

Indeed it is an evil. Even animals can properly identify proper sexual partners and enjoy their sex accordingly. Every religion that finally recognises God as the ultimate is against this evil.

• Zimbabwe

Well Bahati is the only God fearing MP in that August house who does not want his country to accept dirty money by compromising his norms and values.
    I encourage more MPs to vote for that noble piece of legislature. How can u enjoy sex with another man?? Shit!!

Bobby

I am sure a gay man would ask you how you can enjoy sex with a woman?

You say Bahati is standing by his norms and values, but he is asking homosexuals to compromise their norms and values in order to abide by the law, your argument is hypocritical.

Bobby

that was to the person who calls himself Zimbabwe btw!

Zimbabwe

Surely the Ugandan society does not have a culture of homosexuality. Men want women and women want men fullstop!!!

Bobby Hewitt

If that is the case, there is no need for this repressive law.