Watching this documentary, released on the 2 November, that highlights the struggle for LGBT rights in Uganda, will make you realise just how lucky we are to be living in the UK.

Deeply moving, Call Me Kuchu takes you on an emotional journey through the life of the very first man to be openly gay in Uganda, David Kato, and his battle to stop the Anti-Homosexuality Bill – which Ugandan MP David Bahati introduced on the claim that: “[homosexuality] is un-African because it is inconsistent with African values, of procreation and the belief in the continuity of family and clan.”

Also centring on the lives of other courageous “kuchus” of Kampala, Naome and Stosh, the film tells their stories as they struggle to find peace and live safely in their hostile and extremely homophobic environment. Naome, a human rights activist, bravely opens up about her realisation that she could not continue living in denial of her identity, although she still has not come out to many as she continues to fear attack. Stosh courageously tells her heartbreaking story of how she became a victim of corrective rape, and tries to come to terms with being HIV-positive as a result. Their tales are a sad and hard-hitting contrast with the recent legalization of same-sex marriage in several US states.

Most shocking, however, was an interview with the editor of The Rolling Stone, Giles Muhame, who laughed and showed no remorse when questioned about his decision to publish headlines such as ‘HOMO TERROR.’ He was also responsible for using undercover journalists that pretended to befriend people in the local gay community, before publishing 100 names and photographs of allegedly gay citizens, in a name-and-shame article series. In regards to the threat of being stoned or attacked in the street to LGBTs his newspaper had outed, Muhame said the violence was sometimes ‘justifiable’ and that gay rights cannot be considered human rights.

Whilst it is clear that religion and the state are undeniably responsible for encouraging the rife homophobia still sweeping through Uganda, as same-sex marriage legalisation is on the cards for the UK, inspirational Bishop Christophe Senyonjo shows that not all religious figures are backing this discrimination. His claim in the words of St Paul that “we are all one,” and welcoming of LGBT Christians into his Church is both fearless and refreshing.

Sadly, what did not come as so much of a surprise, was that David Kato’s life was ended in a horrifically, brutal attack in his own home. His tragic death, and this film alike, has sent shock waves around the world, resulting in rising international pressure on Uganda to align with global LGBT rights progress. Kato’s defiance is tragically inspirational, and shows just how easily our freedom is taken for granted in a country whose laws do not discriminate purely on sexuality, where we have the freedom to be who we are.

More articles in LGBT
  1. LGBT Network gains public presence on Facebook & plans LGBT History Month
  2. Malaysian Government Performing Seminars to Teach Parents and Teachers How to Spot Gay Kids
  3. Kill the Gays – A Fight Against Ugandan Oppression
  4. Brighton Pride Review
  5. Campaign started for a Southampton Pride event
  6. Two Gay Jamaicans Contest The Island’s Homophobic Laws
  7. Media Highlights Worrying Trend Of Gay Conversion Therapy
  8. Obama’s Promise for LGBT Equality Rivals Mitt Romney’s Shocking Policies
  9. Outraged Cardinal Keith O’Brien Wins Bigot Of The Year Award
  10. Homophobia in the UK?
  11. Shocking “Call Me Kuchu” Tells Ugandan LGBT’s Tragic Struggle For Safety
  12. Cameron gets his foot stuck in it, again
  13. America Approves of the LGBT Community
  14. Kill The Gays Bill to pass as ‘Christmas gift’ to Ugandans
  15. Sir Ian McKellen Stands Up Against Homophobic Bullying
  16. Uganda Drops Death Penalty From “Kill The Gays” Bill
  17. First Gay Mosque Of Europe Opens In Paris
  18. Same-sex Marriage To Become Legal In 2013
  19. Iowa Becomes The First Public University To Ask Applicants If They Are Gay
  20. BBC Report Shows Gay TV Characters Are Under Represented
  21. Amsterdam Celebrates Drag Queen Winter Olympics 2012
  22. 10 Overlooked LGBT News Stories of 2012
  23. Berlusconi Says Yes To Gay Marriage – But Will He Keep His Word?
  24. ‘Sugar Rush’ Writer’s Bigoted Transphobia Published
  25. Hampshire ‘Top Police Force 2013′ for LGB
  26. Gay Marriage Is A ‘Category Error’
  27. The Gay Agenda Marches On
  28. Same Sex Marriage Legalised for England and Wales
  29. The Gay Best Friend Myth
  30. MPs in Uganda Pass Anti-Homosexual Bill