In an interview on national Italian radio, Italy’s ex-Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi declared he was in favour of extending legal rights to all couples wanting to marry, but only if the majority of parliament is in favour.

Campaigning for the next elections recently began, including declarations by some of the more important members of parliament that caused Monti (leader of the technical government brought in after the previous elected government’s collapse) to resign. This move comes at an early, yet critical stage of campaigning when many Italians are likely to make a decision on who they’re likely to vote for. Berlusconi is no stranger to getting the country talking about him, whether for the right or wrong reasons.

berlusconi-960x720

What so few seem to notice is that once again Berlusconi has made a U-turn on what he initially said. Over two years ago, he declared that it was “better to like beautiful girls than be gay.” Then, 11 months ago, he made a rather ambiguous statement, saying he had “nothing against homosexuals,” as they “reduced the competition.” Just last month, he called gay marriage an “amenity” that left-wing parties spent their time on. Now, he’s saying that he is willing to look into “a legal solution to gay marriage.” It seems he’s forgotten that two years ago he announced: ”As long as we’re in power there will be no equality between gay couples and traditional families, just as child adoption for gay couples will never be possible.”

All this comes from an undoubtedly chauvinist bigot, who calls himself “not a playboy, but a play-man,” and is forced to pay out €3,000,000 each month to his ex-wife; after three “feminist, communist, female judges” sentenced against him. Can this man really be trusted? Is this really a change of heart on his part or just empty words?

In past elections Burlusconi always promised to lower taxes, abolish the property tax known in Italy as IMU, and protect the pockets of the average Italian workers. Needless to say, these promises have never been kept and, more often than not, further taxes have been put in place or already existing ones increased. Advocate groups for LGBT rights on the whole seem to take this recent declaration with a pinch of salt: they want concrete proposals written into the party manifesto before they truly believe him – not that putting promises in writing has ever stopped him from changing his mind.

But let’s not forget that this “play-man” cannot make decisions on his own. Parliament must approve any law put forward by the next government, a government which, if run by Berlusconi’s party, will not advocate any such thing. Part of a document signed by more than 150 MPs in his party declares their contrariety to any form of marriage other than that between a man and a woman.

Berlusconi’s claims seem like another cheap shot at pulling in votes, in a country where 54% of Italians are now in favour of gay marriage – up from 53% last year. Meanwhile, on Vatican Radio, bishop Sigalini said that “Acknowledging [homosexuals] gives them the right to live their own lives, but they cannot substitute marriage with their union.” Well, how very backward and closed-minded.

More articles in LGBT
  1. LGBT Network gains public presence on Facebook & plans LGBT History Month
  2. Malaysian Government Performing Seminars to Teach Parents and Teachers How to Spot Gay Kids
  3. Kill the Gays – A Fight Against Ugandan Oppression
  4. Brighton Pride Review
  5. Campaign started for a Southampton Pride event
  6. Two Gay Jamaicans Contest The Island’s Homophobic Laws
  7. Media Highlights Worrying Trend Of Gay Conversion Therapy
  8. Obama’s Promise for LGBT Equality Rivals Mitt Romney’s Shocking Policies
  9. Outraged Cardinal Keith O’Brien Wins Bigot Of The Year Award
  10. Homophobia in the UK?
  11. Shocking “Call Me Kuchu” Tells Ugandan LGBT’s Tragic Struggle For Safety
  12. Cameron gets his foot stuck in it, again
  13. America Approves of the LGBT Community
  14. Kill The Gays Bill to pass as ‘Christmas gift’ to Ugandans
  15. Sir Ian McKellen Stands Up Against Homophobic Bullying
  16. Uganda Drops Death Penalty From “Kill The Gays” Bill
  17. First Gay Mosque Of Europe Opens In Paris
  18. Same-sex Marriage To Become Legal In 2013
  19. Iowa Becomes The First Public University To Ask Applicants If They Are Gay
  20. BBC Report Shows Gay TV Characters Are Under Represented
  21. Amsterdam Celebrates Drag Queen Winter Olympics 2012
  22. 10 Overlooked LGBT News Stories of 2012
  23. Berlusconi Says Yes To Gay Marriage – But Will He Keep His Word?
  24. ‘Sugar Rush’ Writer’s Bigoted Transphobia Published
  25. Hampshire ‘Top Police Force 2013′ for LGB
  26. Gay Marriage Is A ‘Category Error’
  27. The Gay Agenda Marches On
  28. Same Sex Marriage Legalised for England and Wales
  29. The Gay Best Friend Myth
  30. MPs in Uganda Pass Anti-Homosexual Bill

One Comment »

• Luca Degasper

Just to clarify one point… Berlusconi’s government did indeed remove the ICI property tax, which was reintroduced a year later as IMU by Monti’s government!