Picture: Carolyn Dunn/CBC

Picture: Carolyn Dunn/CBC

The Ugandan parliament has passed a bill that will see homosexual acts punishable by life in prison. The bill has also made it a crime, punishable by prison sentence, for not reporting gay people.

This subject has plagued Uganda having known for years that this bill, first introduced in October 2009 by David Bahati (an MP in Ugandan parliament and a member of the National Resistance Movement), has been subject to international scrutiny. In 2009, US President Barack Obama called it “odious”, with PM David Cameron having suggested that allocation of international aid should hinge on a countries LGBT rights record.

This is a truly terrifying day for human rights in Uganda. It will open a new era of fear and persecution. If this law is signed by president Museveni, I’d be thrown in jail for life and in all likelihood killed. We urgently need world leaders to call on president Museveni and demand he stops this bill of hate from becoming law.

Frank Mugisha
Executive Director of Sexual Minorities Uganda

Ugandan PM Amama Mbabazi could follow up his complaint about the lack of quoracy at the vote, as well as President Yoweri Museveni having to sign the bill into law, although the President has said at the swearing in of a new head of the Anglican Church of Uganda that homosexuality “should not be condemned or promoted as a good thing”. The original bill proposed by Bahati wanted the death penalty to be invoked for some homosexual offences, which was later replaced with life in prison, in the hope that the change would improve the chances of the bill being passed.

We are a God-fearing nation, we value life in a holistic way. It is because of those values that members of parliament passed this bill regardless of what the outside world thinks.

David Bahati

Several human rights groups have condemned the bill, with over a million people signing the e-petition by Mugisha to stop Museveni signing in the laws, found here. Amnesty Internationals Deputy Africa Director, Aster van Kregten, has said:

President Museveni must veto this wildly discriminatory legislation, which amounts to a grave assault on human rights and makes a mockery of the Ugandan constitution. Passing the anti-homosexuality bill was a retrograde step for Uganda’s parliament, which has made some important progress on human rights in recent years, including criminalising torture. It flies in the face of the Ugandan government’s stated commitment to ensure all legislation complies with human rights.

Aster van Kregten
Amnesty International

The bill extends from life imprisonment for same-sex intercourse, to all and any other same-sex behaviour, including touching another person with the intent to participate in homosexual relations. Homosexuality is currently illegal in 37 African countries, most of which site it to be against religious and moral beliefs linked in with traditional family values, which supporters of the bill claim is in danger due to western-inspired gay rights groups.

For our last article on this issue, please go to: Kill the Gays – A Fight Against Ugandan Oppression.

Source: Amnesty/ILGA

Source: Amnesty/ILGA

More articles in LGBT
  1. LGBT Network gains public presence on Facebook & plans LGBT History Month
  2. Malaysian Government Performing Seminars to Teach Parents and Teachers How to Spot Gay Kids
  3. Kill the Gays – A Fight Against Ugandan Oppression
  4. Brighton Pride Review
  5. Campaign started for a Southampton Pride event
  6. Two Gay Jamaicans Contest The Island’s Homophobic Laws
  7. Media Highlights Worrying Trend Of Gay Conversion Therapy
  8. Obama’s Promise for LGBT Equality Rivals Mitt Romney’s Shocking Policies
  9. Outraged Cardinal Keith O’Brien Wins Bigot Of The Year Award
  10. Homophobia in the UK?
  11. Shocking “Call Me Kuchu” Tells Ugandan LGBT’s Tragic Struggle For Safety
  12. Cameron gets his foot stuck in it, again
  13. America Approves of the LGBT Community
  14. Kill The Gays Bill to pass as ‘Christmas gift’ to Ugandans
  15. Sir Ian McKellen Stands Up Against Homophobic Bullying
  16. Uganda Drops Death Penalty From “Kill The Gays” Bill
  17. First Gay Mosque Of Europe Opens In Paris
  18. Same-sex Marriage To Become Legal In 2013
  19. Iowa Becomes The First Public University To Ask Applicants If They Are Gay
  20. BBC Report Shows Gay TV Characters Are Under Represented
  21. Amsterdam Celebrates Drag Queen Winter Olympics 2012
  22. 10 Overlooked LGBT News Stories of 2012
  23. Berlusconi Says Yes To Gay Marriage – But Will He Keep His Word?
  24. ‘Sugar Rush’ Writer’s Bigoted Transphobia Published
  25. Hampshire ‘Top Police Force 2013′ for LGB
  26. Gay Marriage Is A ‘Category Error’
  27. The Gay Agenda Marches On
  28. Same Sex Marriage Legalised for England and Wales
  29. The Gay Best Friend Myth
  30. MPs in Uganda Pass Anti-Homosexual Bill