Men’s fashion is big news. The London Collections (the male equivalent of London Fashion Week) for Autumn/Winter 2012 were full of fun and accessible trends for the any man to try. Here are the ways to work the trends for an easy daytime look on campus.

Layering is a key way to look good but stay warm this season. A smart shirt doesn’t just have to be saved for posh dates or nights out, they also look great (and sexy!) when worn around campus for a smart daytime look. Try this one from Topman at £20, either on its own or underneath a v-neck cardigan for when it gets chilly. A fine or chunky knit will work equally well depending on how streamlined you want your silhouette to be. This cardigan from H&M at £24.99 would look great over a slim fit shirt. The muted grey works well for an urban look but try a more daring, coloured cardigan if you’re feeling adventurous!

An easy way to work colour into your outfit is to try coloured trousers. Wear chinos or cotton trousers in the autumn and switch to corduroy when it gets colder in the winter. This mustard pair from H&M, £14.99 is an excellent way to brooch colour as yellow matches a surprising amount of other colours! If you’re feeling more adventurous, try a pair in plum, dusty pink or bottle green.

Designers have been giving coats special attention this season, turning them into a must-have item rather than simply an afterthought. Double breasted coats are huge; you are guaranteed to be fashionable with this piece! There are plenty on the high street to choose from but if you want your coat to be versatile, stick to a muted colour; either black, grey, or navy. This one from New Look at £59.99 may seem pricey but it’s definitely worth investing in. If you find the right one, you’ll be wearing it for years.

To keep this look smart and preppy, team your outfit with a cool pair of boots or brogues. These, from Topman at £38, will polish off your look nicely. Top tip: cheap leather always looks better in brown rather than black. If you’re trying to make your loan go further, choose brown as it’s a lot more forgiving.

Finally, finish the look with some fun accessories. A book bag needs to be strong and roomy so try this one from Burton at £26.00. The simple colour will match a lot of outfits (and hide the dirt it picks up from being dragged along the library floor!) If you want to experiment with pattern but are afraid to do so, take baby steps with this scarf from New Look at £15. It will keep you warm this winter. Polish the look off with a smart watch and you’ll be the most stylish man on campus!