In the Scene logoNow the year is drawing to a close, it’s time to look back at some of the biggest fashion trends of 2013!

dressss
Jack Wills Summer 2013 dress

1. White Hot
White was one of the biggest ‘trends’ of the Spring/Summer season. Many all white looks were featured on the S/S 2013 catwalks. This trend, while simple, had a  lot of impact. Texture was particularly important, with beautiful broderie anglaise making a comeback! It was available in many High Street shops, particularly Topshop and Jack Wills. Luckily, Summer 2013 was hot enough for the trend to take off! Another benefit of the trend is that white items from this year will still be useful next year and the year after that!

2. Texture

Photo courtesy of www.topshop.com

Photo courtesy of www.topshop.com

Textured jumpers have solved the problem of what to wear in the awkward end of Summer to Autumn transitional phase! The most noticable texture trend this year was for fluffy jumpers, (the fluffier the better!), in a range of colours and styles. This is a trend that has spanned the High Street, from Primark to Superdry. Fluffy jumpers are not only incredibly cute, but are practical too as they’ll keep you cosy!

3. Tartandress

Tartan was big for A/W last year and has been even bigger this season! The print can be found on the high street on trousers, scarves, bags, dresses, skirts and trousers. It’s a really versatile print as it can suit ‘grunge’ inspired outfits or preppy, heritage inspired looks. Have a look in Urban Outfitters, Topshop and Primark on the High Street, and Asos and Missguided online for some fabulous tartan finds!

The Nyanzi Report via Asos fashion finder

Pastels

Pastels were popular for Spring/Summer 2013, but even more so in Autumn/Winter 2013! The UK High Streetstores have been filled with an array of gorgeous candy coloured garments and accessories. My personal favourite garment from the trend is the pink coat! Miss Selfridge, Topshop, Debenhams and Zara all stocked beautiful pink coats this season. This trend is just so fun and challenges the notion that pastel colours are for the Spring months only!

Photo via Topshop

Photo courtesy of Topshop

5. Dark Florals

The Gothic inspired looks which come around every Autumn season were a bit different this year; they were floral! The dark floral trend, in a similar way to the trend for winter pastels, has shown that florals are not just for Spring and Summer! That’s another benefit of this trend – dark floral dresses will make perfect festival-wear in the summer months of 2014!

These are only a few of the trends for 2013. What have been your favourite trends this year?

More articles in In The Scene (Fashion Column)
  1. In The Scene: What to Wear on a Night Out in Southampton
  2. 6 Ways to get your Best Ever Wardrobe in 2013!
  3. Candy Crush : A/W Pastels
  4. Christmas 2013: Menswear Trends
  5. Autumn/Winter 2013: The High Street Top Ten
  6. Party Picks for Southampton This Season!
  7. Trends of 2013: The Top 5
  8. My Favourite UK Fashion Bloggers
  9. Southampton University Fashion and Style Society Celebrates its First Birthday
  10. The Top High Street Trends of Spring 2014