We make them every year; New Years resolutions. But that doesn’t mean that they’re any easier to keep. You’re bound to have made a resolution, or multiple, this year that you’re having trouble sticking to, no matter how much you try.

New Years Resolutions

But it’s not impossible to make those ambitions a reality. Here’s a few tips on how to achieve them:

• Make your goals more specific:

Rather than making generalised resolutions such as “go to the gym”, write down and plan WHEN you are going to go and for how long.

• Make more realistic aims:

Try to make your resolutions more achievable. Rather than saying that you’ll stop eating junk food for the whole of 2014, try to cut out your weekly chocolate bar or swap lunchtime snacks for healthier alternatives

• Act upon your goals immediately:

Tomorrow never comes so don’t leave your hopes unrealised. Act upon them from right from the start. Book yourself up for the next month at the gym. Stop buying cigarettes BEFORE you’ve stopped smoking. If you exercise your self-restraint, realising your goals will become more achievable.

• Get motivated:

The reason we make resolutions in the first place is to counteract our displeasure with something be it our appearance, our habits, our future prospects. Whatever it may be that you want to change, write it down! Make a list of what you hope to achieve if you stick to the resolution and display it so every time you pass the list you know what to aim for.

Good luck this year!