It’s visit day time and one description of university life I’ve heard is that of ‘magical’. So, by logical succession, what does Southampton have in common with Hogwarts?
- Way back when we received a letter telling us how gifted we were and asking us to study here. This must surely ring some bells?
- Our library must at least be as big as the famed castle and has just as dedicated a following: Hogwarts has Hermione, we have an elite so determined they bed down for the night between the shelves. We also have a restricted section with its own custodians on Level 4.
- Magic is in existence in our good city – how else can you explain the rapid disappearance of our student loans each term.
- And on this theme, what about the amazing potions we consume? After all the Jesticle has the power to turn us into someone else entirely.
- At Hogwarts, you will always find an ever knowing pair of feline eyes following your every move, either ready to report to the caretaker or transform into an angry deputy-headmistress to tell you off herself. Our very own SUSU the cat may not possess such obvious magic, but she definitely keeps tabs on us all. That’s right folks: the sleeping is a deception.
- Southampton has its own Quidditch club, currently ranked fourth in the UK. Enough said.
- We also possess our own Forbidden Forest, which no student is to enter after dark, although we call it Lover’s Walk.
- Hogwarts includes spectacles such as tall towers and moving staircases. We too have a tower and a never ending staircase. Yes, put your hands together for the Maths tower.
- Why choose Honeydukes when we have Sprinkles! Also, Winchester is a lot like Hogsmeade, don’t you think?
- We do teach magic, although some might use alternative names for such studies. Although more on these another time…
Got any more? Let us know about your magical moments at Uni.