The National Student Television Association (NaSTA) are hosting FreshersTV, the biggest student television event of the year, on Wednesday 19th October at 6pm. The massive live show will be run by SUSUtv in Southampton, and will link up 21 university TV stations to produce a broadcast showcasing the best of student television.

Think ‘Eurovision Song Contest’ – but run by student volunteers. The 3-hour show will take place in the concourse area of the Union building, and will incorporate a massive video wall and plasma television screen. The hosts for the evening are winner of the 2010 NaSTA Best Male Chris Wells, and runner up Best Female Briony Lammas.

SUSUtv are hoping to make this years’ broadcast an impressive demonstration of what student television is capable of achieving. Not only to consider are the technicalities of combining 21 live streams into a single broadcast, but also the organization and planning which is required to ensure everything runs smoothly. Speaking to Station Manager of SUSUtv and Producer of FreshersTV, Dom Kullander commented:

This event has put SUSUtv firmly at the forefront of organizing a national TV event. It’s been a big challenge but it’ll be well worth it come Wednesday night.”

Set up by NaSTA in 2008, FreshersTV was the first national link-up between student university TV stations. The show has continued to grow in scale, with the first fully live show being held at Loughborough last year. This year, the emphasis will be on innovation and ensuring the show is entertaining for a broad range of viewers, not just those already interested in student television. The show will be focusing on Freshers’ tips and advice for student life, and what different Unions have been up to in Freshers’ Week. In combination with the live show, a FreshersTV website has been set up to showcase the best pre-recorded videos from all the universities taking part. The content, including video diaries, fresher’s week tips and highlights from freshers balls are all available to watch here:

The show is about freshers and will be most crucially, be involving freshers. Any new freshers at SUSUtv have been encouraged to get involved in helping with the broadcast – one lucky Southampton first year student is even getting the chance to present in the SUSUtv section of the night! For other freshers who have never seen a live broadcast before, this promises to be an impressive show, and is well worth coming to watch in the studio audience in the concourse.  For everyone else, the broadcast can be watched online at:

www.freshers.tv/live

One Comment »

• Moggy

Lush logo right there.