You may have seen it saturate your television screens over the last few weeks and months, but finally tonight is the night when the event takes to centre stage, bringing numerous countries together for the monumental cause of eradicating cancer.

I’m sure we all understand the effects of cancer and the implications to those it affects,  rather than just affecting the sufferer, it draws in everyone around them. Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) is aiming at the long-term eradication of cancer. It began in America on September 5th 2008 when Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF), brought together three massive broadcasting network stations (ABC, NBC and CBS) to stage a mammoth television marathon, televising to over 170 countries.

SU2C is aimed at raising funds for translational cancer research, described by The Translational Research Working Group (TRWG) as:

Translational research transforms scientific discoveries arising from laboratories, clinical or population studies into clinical applications to reduce cancer incidence, morbidity and mortality.

Translational Research Working Group

Due to the success of the initial event, SU2C returned on September 10th 2010 with another television marathon, although this time being hosted by numerous broadcasters including ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, Bio, Current, Discovery Health, E!, G4, HBO, HBO Latino, MLB Network, Mun2, Showtime, Smithsonian Channel, Style Network, TV One and VH1. Not heard of half of them? Don’t worry you can put your moral cap back on as I haven’t either! Although with such an expansion and diversity of broadcasting networks, SU2C were bound to be more successful than the previous year. This is the year that they began using celebrities on the stations, incorporating nearly 100 celebrities which were seen in 195 countries. In the past two years, the charity event has raised over $100 million for cancer research, mostly due to the televised fundraising that was aired in 2008 and 2010. The event for 2012 has already been aired in America and raised over $180m.

The Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) initiative raises funds to accelerate groundbreaking cancer research that will get new therapies to patients quickly and save lives. SU2C brings together the best and the brightest in the cancer research community, encouraging collaboration instead of competition. SU2C draws on the assets of the entertainment industry in unique ways to create awareness and build broad public support for this effort.

SU2C Website

Within Southampton, you will pass one shop in Portswood (Cancer Research Charity Shop) with shirts promoting the event, which doesn’t correlate to the importance of this event. This event demands a culmination of friends and fun, celebrating what we have, who we have around us and looking at what we have lost – ensuring we all come together as a community. The Mitre are providing discounted pints, showing the SU2C event on television and collecting donations for the cause. The Manager describes why she wanted to host the event:

Throughout your lifetime you may be affected by cancer. May not be personally – could be a family member, a friend, a co-worker, the love of your life… Stand up to it – get involved! Celebrate the lives of those who have been lost and those who beat the unbeatable. Make your stand and don’t let it win!

Mandy Morley
Mitre Manager

Download Video from YouTube | Convert to MP3

Cancer is such a massive part of people’s lives that it is nearly impossible not to be affected by the devastating consequences either directly or indirectly. Nearly 1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women are affected by cancer and unfortunately a large majority of cases occur in low/middle-income countries as well as more than 30% of all cancers being curable if detected early and treated adequately. It is imperative that we stand up for this cause and against this detrimental illness that has relentlessly claimed 7.6 million people in 2008 alone (13% of all deaths worldwide). Remember that it starts with you – more than 30% of cancer can be prevented, mainly by reframing from tobacco, maintaining a healthy diet, being physically active and preventing infections that can cause cancer.