Fire fighters acted quickly and worked industriously today to extinguish a fire on Portswood Road.

Fire crew assembled on Portswood Road.
Photograph taken by Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service

Today, at just after 11am, fire crews assembled behind Machine Mart on Portswood Road to extinguish a fire with flames which reportedly reached 30ft in the air. The fire started in a car workshop, and although it is not yet known how exactly the fire started, several cylinders of mixed contents are believed to have acted as fuel.

The Hampshire Fire and Rescue service stated that the owner of the premises alerted fire fighters at 11:11am this morning, and that over 30 fire fighters attended the single storey building fire, which Hampshire Police told the Wessex Scene was deemed non-suspicious.

Mark Ravan, Station Manager said “The owner of the garage was quick to inform both the Police and Hampshire Fire of the incident.”

Fire services evacuated commercial and residential properties close to the garage as a precaution. A member of staff at Machine Mart spoke to the Wessex Scene, noting that buildings were cleared for 45 minutes as fire fighters worked hard to secure the area. Police closed some of Portswood Road, between Mayfield Road and Broadlands Road which have now re-opened.

Fire fighters worked hard to extinguish the fire.
Photograph taken by Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service.

The fire was extinguished at 1:38pm and the car workshop was completely destroyed in the event. Since the building was not attached to any others, there is no residual damage to any of the surrounding premises.

Mark Ravan commenting on the fire fighters involved said: “Crews worked hard to contain the fire and are now in the phase of returning the area back to normal.”

One Comment »

• sameer

tyres gonna tire