Stonewall handed out ten awards for positive contributions to LGBT rights and awareness on Thursday evening, and one to Cardinal Keith O’Brien for Bigot of the Year Award, in a ceremony attended by over 450.

Hosted by Gok Wan, the event saw the head of the Scottish Catholic Church awarded Bigot of the Year, after previously labelling gay relationships ‘grotesque,’ ‘harmful’ and comparable to slavery.

Stonewall stood by its belief  that it is “incredibly important” to challenge anyone who made “gratuitously offensive comments” about gay people, after leaders of the Catholic Church demanded the category be removed and companies Coutts and Barclays cut sponsorship to the event.

Despite the two biggest sponsors threatening to withdraw, unless the category is dropped next year, Stonewall chief executive Ben Summerskill said: “We have never called anyone a bigot just because they disagreed with us.

“All the nominees have gone well beyond what anyone normal would call a decent level of public discourse. We welcome sponsorship from anyone who shares our core values, but we have an obligation to the 3.6 million gay people to do what is right, and highlighting extreme examples of bigotry when we know how harmful this unpleasantness is to the self-esteem of young people is right.”

Reverend Giles Fraser, who received Hero of the Year Award for being an inspirational faith leader who supports gay people, thanked Stonewall for its efforts in standing up to bigotry: “I’m ashamed that I share the same profession as so many of the people that were nominated and received the Bigot of the Year Award. Why I’m proud of Stonewall, and why I’m proud and delighted to have received this award, is because what you seek to attack, and what you seek to challenge, is fear.”

Great British Bake Off presenter Sue Perkins won Entertainer of the Year Award, with Broadcast of the Year Award going to Britain’s Got Talent. On accepting the award, its production team said: “We’d like to thank ITV for having the courage to put obviously gay acts on primetime television.”

The Rugby Football League won Sports Award of the Year. Its Equality and Diversity Manager, Sarah Williams, said: ‘This is a fantastic honour for rugby league. We’re proud to stand up and say there’s no place for homophobia in sport.’

More articles in LGBT
  1. LGBT Network gains public presence on Facebook & plans LGBT History Month
  2. Malaysian Government Performing Seminars to Teach Parents and Teachers How to Spot Gay Kids
  3. Kill the Gays – A Fight Against Ugandan Oppression
  4. Brighton Pride Review
  5. Campaign started for a Southampton Pride event
  6. Two Gay Jamaicans Contest The Island’s Homophobic Laws
  7. Media Highlights Worrying Trend Of Gay Conversion Therapy
  8. Obama’s Promise for LGBT Equality Rivals Mitt Romney’s Shocking Policies
  9. Outraged Cardinal Keith O’Brien Wins Bigot Of The Year Award
  10. Homophobia in the UK?
  11. Shocking “Call Me Kuchu” Tells Ugandan LGBT’s Tragic Struggle For Safety
  12. Cameron gets his foot stuck in it, again
  13. America Approves of the LGBT Community
  14. Kill The Gays Bill to pass as ‘Christmas gift’ to Ugandans
  15. Sir Ian McKellen Stands Up Against Homophobic Bullying
  16. Uganda Drops Death Penalty From “Kill The Gays” Bill
  17. First Gay Mosque Of Europe Opens In Paris
  18. Same-sex Marriage To Become Legal In 2013
  19. Iowa Becomes The First Public University To Ask Applicants If They Are Gay
  20. BBC Report Shows Gay TV Characters Are Under Represented
  21. Amsterdam Celebrates Drag Queen Winter Olympics 2012
  22. 10 Overlooked LGBT News Stories of 2012
  23. Berlusconi Says Yes To Gay Marriage – But Will He Keep His Word?
  24. ‘Sugar Rush’ Writer’s Bigoted Transphobia Published
  25. Hampshire ‘Top Police Force 2013′ for LGB
  26. Gay Marriage Is A ‘Category Error’
  27. The Gay Agenda Marches On
  28. Same Sex Marriage Legalised for England and Wales
  29. The Gay Best Friend Myth
  30. MPs in Uganda Pass Anti-Homosexual Bill