After the success at the recent Green Gown Awards the Blackout is back on the 26th April and this time it’s going national.

The Blackout is an initiative started last year by University of Southampton students and staff with the aim of saving electricity and demonstrating how much money and carbon dioxide emissions we waste unnecessarily.

The method was simple turn off anything that wasnt being used and didnt need to be on, such as turning off lights left on in empty rooms. Over the weekend of the 28th and 29th April it was estimated that 7 tonnes of carbon dioxide and £1600 in one weekend!

This year after the recognition at the Green Gown Awards the scheme is being rolled out nationally across other institutions of higher education. The date for this exciting event is the 26th April 2013.

Students running the scheme have demonstrated they are not content with becoming bigger and better across the UK, but this year the event will run at all 4 campuses including Highfield, Avenue, NOC and Winchester. This means if £1600 was saved from one campus on one weekend, imagine what the university could save based on all its campuses.

If £1600 was saved from one campus on one weekend, imagine what the university could save based on all its campuses

As always the message is to always turn off at the plug when you arent using your own personal devices and to get involved, this year will be a bigger event and more volunteers will be needed. Contact the Environment and Ethics Council if you want to get involved by twitter but you will be able to find further updates here at the Wessex Scene!