nigel-adkins-pre-arsenal-away-pc148-366197_478x359After two-and-a-half years in charge, it has been announced that Nigel Adkins has been sacked as Manager of Southampton FC.

Despite leading the team to back-to-back promotions, it was announced by the club that Adkins had been relieved of his duties this morning.

This decision has been made with the long-term ambitions of Southampton Football Club in mind. Whilst we acknowledge the contribution Nigel has made during the past two years, for the Club to progress and achieve our long-term targets a change was needed.

Nicola Cortese
Executive Chairman

Southampton currently sit 15th in the Premier League, 3 points clear of the relegation zone, and have recently seen a upturn in form – including coming back from 2-0 down to draw at Chelsea on Wednesday – with only 2 defeats in their last 12 league games.

However, it was believed Southampton’s Chairman, Nicola Cortese, has doubts over Adkins’ ability to manage in the Premier League, with rumours he had already had contact with Christian Gross and Roberto Di Matteo.

Instead, Southampton have appointed Mauricio Pochettino as first team manager.

GRA220. MADRID, 26/11/2012.- Fotografía de archivo tomada el 22/04/2012 del técnico argentino Mauricio Pochettino, cuyo contrato ha sido rescindido por el Espanyol después de casi cuatro años como máximo responsable del banquillo blanquiazul, debido a la delicada situación deportiva del conjunto, colista en la clasificación. EFE/ARCHIVO/Emilio Naranjo

Southampton’s New Manager

Pochettino, 40, is an Argentinean who spent most of career at Espanyol, with 275 appearances for the Spanish clubs, as well as spells with French clubs PSG and Bordeaux. He also played at international level and, most infamously, was the defender who fouled Michael Owen for the David Beckham penalty that led England to a 1-0 win over the South American Nation  during the 2002 World Cup.

He was appointed manager of Espanyol in 2009 and led them for three years, but was sacked in November with the club sitting bottom of La Liga.

In an official statement, Cortese said that:

“‘Mauricio is a well-respected coach of substantial quality who has gained a reputation as an astute tactician and excellent man manager. I have every confidence that he will inspire our talented squad of players to perform at the highest possible level.”

Nonetheless, his appointment is likely to be controversial with Adkins a fan-favourite at the club due to his successful reign.

3 Comments »

• Pardew

The fans are livid. The Everton game on Monday night will be something to behold, talks of 90 minutes of “One Nigel Adkins” chants, boycotting the game, physical protests, everything.

• NigelAdkinsRedArmy

Disgraceful. I hope my Tuesday exam is cancelled so I can vent my anger. Shame on you Cortese.

• Iain

well, i guess the italian mafia and the russian mafia have come to an agreement. Our Nige was not supposed to get a draw with Chelski. ‘Arry Redknapp plays with the big boys. remember the Ukraine job offer? the players should go on strike until Adkins is re-instated but that is as likely as Sepp Blatter admitting that he takes bribes. this really stinks; and you know who won’t get relegated?