In the past few months the ‘Harlem Shake’ has rapidly become the biggest topic of conversation amongst friends and now family (awkwardly). Today Southampton students took to SUSU’s redbrick to create their own video.

The Harlem Shake is a recent YouTube phenomenom. All you have to do is type the words into a search and hundreds of results will come up of people Harlem Shaking in all kinds of environments from bedrooms to care homes.

The Facebook event was made on February, 17 by Osama MargaMansour and sparked a lot of interest from students who shared their favourite videos from around the internet. A check today revealed that 280 people were planning to attend.

Around 1pm this afternoon the concourse filled up with people in all kinds of outfits including Darth Maul, Darth Vader and Jigsaw. Campaign teams turned up in their colours and despite the cold weather one person turned up just in his pants, bunny ears and a dressing gown.

The solo part was performed by someone dressed as Darth Vader and then the group shot was taken with everyone in the middle of the concourse outside the SU building. People got on each other shoulders, waved banners and generally went crazy.

After filming the host thanked everyone for coming despite the fact that the weather wasn’t great. SUSUtv filmed the video along with music provided by Surge who were in the midst of a Outside Broadcast.

Click here for the video