An overnight experiment in one of the University of Southampton labs led to a huge emergency response and the brief closure of University Road.
Fire crews and hazardous materials teams were called to the laboratory just after 6am this morning. According to Hampshire Fire and Rescue, fumes from the experiment (which had ‘not performed as it should’) set off the fire alarm. Fire chiefs have since confirmed that issue was started by a chemical reaction in a cupboard or enclosed cabinet.
Crews from fire stations across the city attended the incident, and University Road was completely closed while emergency services attended the lab. Fire crews have now left, however, and the road is open again.
More on this story as it develops.