Welcome to the Candidate 2014 live interviews! Different to the elections liveblog, this running article will give you constant updates as we interview the candidates before the results are announced.

Vice President Student Communities:

Oli Coles

Sum up your feelings in three words: Apprehensive; relieved; happy

How has the night been so far? Well it wasn’t the best start, as David Mendoza-Wolfson stole all the hot water so I had to have a cold shower. To be honest, it’s only just started and it hasn’t kicked off yet; I’m finding it weird being here before everybody else.

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? *Thinks about it for a bit* – the idea of an increased safety bus, I think.

What has been your highlight of elections fortnight? The lecture shout-outs, the way the candidates have all come together. It’s sometimes been a bit snidey in past years but this time we’ve all come together to promote elections, not just ourselves

Who would you like to thank? My campaign team; Hattie Hall, Bex Dicks, Emily Sherring, Patrick White, Alex Lane and Danny Parker – and everyone who’s voted.

Thomas Rogers

Sum up your feelings in three words: Nervous, strangely excited.

How has the night been so far?: Well, the carvery upstairs was pretty good, and I’m trying to desperately stay sober before I go on stage.

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be?: Better transport for the hospital because I went there this week and it took me hours!

What has been your highlight from elections fortnight? It’s been a stressful two weeks so I would have to say when it’s all over!

Who would you like to than?  I would like to thank everyone who has encouraged me to run seriously because I wouldn’t be there without their support and encouragement.

Vice President Education:

Sophia D’Angelico

Sum up your feelings in three words:  Excited. Nervous. TERRIFIED.

How has the night been so far?  Bit shambolic, not sure where I’m supposed to be at the moment but we’ll get there! Just need something to make me forget how nervous I am.

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s) what would it be? Something about water fountains in David Heard’s manifesto. Essentially the idea was to have more water fountains in the Murray building and the library, and having more access to water during study periods is a great idea.

What has been your highlight from elections fortnight? Having so many people from languages actively support my campaign. They went out of their way to make sure that I was ok for the whole week and wasn’t on my own. I felt very emotionally supported. There were loads of encouraging messages on Facebook, all listing the things I’ve achieved in the last four years, which was pretty heartwarming!

Who would you like to thank?  Leo Gauvain, Jamie Furlong and Chris Stamford, who helped me film my video. I definitely couldn’t have done it without them! My campaign manager Megan Boyle has been fantastic, and all my friends have been so supportive.

David Herd

Sum up our feelings in three words? Anxious, relieved, confused

How has the night been so far? Yeah it’s a bit nervous and resigned to how it’s going to go really

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? One I remembered was the idea of having one to one sessions with library staff with regards to dissertations because we don’t have enough face to face meetings and you get an idea of how things are going.

What was your highlight of elections fortnight? Probably the debates, it was a challenging thing to do but well worth it

Who would you like to thank? The person who’s been driving me through most of it so it’d have to be Jade

Shaun Coston

Sum up our feelings in three words? Nervous, tired, excited

How has the night been so far? Not too bad, trying to keep my mind off of things, just trying to talk to people and trying not to think about it too much.

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? David Herd’s idea for a water fountain in the Murray building was just a really sensible idea

What was your highlight of elections fortnight? I’d go for the debate which I enjoyed once I got into it or the lecture shoutouts which was a little bit outside my comfort zone but was a really good experience

Who would you like to thank? I’d like to thank my girlfriend Azaria for supporting me through everything, Jack for managing my campaign and anyone who helped me to give our flyers or appeared in one of my videos, I can’t thank you enough.

VP Democracy and Creative Industries:

Jonathan North

Sum up your feelings in three words? Excited. Nervous. I’m not good at adjectives.

How has the night been for you? Not too bad, seems relatively well organised. Had a nice chat with Surge earlier! Sometimes tech issues happen, but you’ve just got to
roll with it.

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent what would it be?Katy’s idea of shorter elections. I don’t agree with online and offline elections being at
different points, so I totally agree with her concept of starting elections on Monday and ending on Friday. The current elections period annoys people.

What has been your highlight from elections fortnight? It’s been really nice that all of the other DCI candidates have been really pleasant and genuinely good fun.
Everyone involved in my race has been really great about the whole thing. You don’t always get that.

Who would you like to thank? Everyone who supported me. Dom Latarche and Sarah Hemming specifically, and anybody who has spammed for me! It’s been a rough week, but I’d like to thank Katy O’Brien, Jamie Hanna, Anjit Aulakh and Megan Downing for being so supportive.

Megan Downing

Sum up your feelings in three words? Anxious. Fucking terrified.

How has the night been for you? I’m sobering up at the moment. I was drunk earlier, and now I’m a lot calmer. I don’t really know how I feel, which isn’t a good
feeling!

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent what would it be? I think Anjit’s inclusion of MedSoc being included more within the Union. Their society is
as large as PA, so they deserve the extra support.

What has been your highlight from elections fortnight? The last 15 minutes of voting! We were out on the concourse and everyone got together for the first time this
week!

Who would you like to thank? My campaign rock Bex James, she’s been really really good. My boyfriend for cooking for me, keeping me alive.

Katy O’Brien

Sum up our feelings in three words? I Don’t Know!

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? SUSU Cat Cam from Tom Rogers, it was a great idea.

What was your highlight of elections fortnight? I think talkling to NOC Students because I’m a NOC student and it was really good to see that they were actually
engaging in elections for once and SUSU.

Who would you like to thank? I’d like to thank my fiancé Simon and Rachel Swann, Shep and Louisa and my mum because she’s here tonight.

Jamie Hanna

Sum up our feelings in three words? Happy and tired

How has the night been so far? The drink has been very good and I’ve had a good time.

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? Anjit talking about shelves in storage was a good one.

What was your highlight of elections fortnight? Yesterday when I realised how I accidentally how good the banana was for publicity.

Who would you like to thank? Everyone in my campaign team and my parents who don’t know that this is happening.

Anjit Aulakh

Sum up your feelings in three words? Stressed; anxious; excited! (in regards to everything, all the SUSUtv stuff – not just elections!)

How has the night been so far? Don’t ask…

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? Winchester independence!

What has been your highlight of elections fortnight? Thursday – we all did Stags karaoke, I sang the Pokemon theme song and someone bowed down to me. That’s all I have to say.

Who would you like to thank? Loads of people! Family, Leighton and Lauren (my campaign managers), Kirstie, Dan Bowes, Tim Brooks, all of SUSUtv, everyone who voted to for me and so many other names who can’t come to my mind right now!

VP Welfare:

Gabriela Discenza

Sum up your feelings in three words? Terrified – but strangely calm

How has the night been so far? Lovely, it’s been nice seeing all the candidates and it’s comforting to know I’m not the only one who’s also incredibly nervous! Unfortunately I arrived too late for the SUSU Carvery – I was sobering up at home after getting bit tipsy at [this afternoon’s] champagne reception!

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? I think Beckie’s Housing policies about a forum and better communication with landlords because it’s something that’s needed at this University but something I wasn’t sure how to articulate.

What has been your highlight of elections fortnight? Making a massive Monopoly Board with my friend! We made a Welfare Monopoly and was designed to highlight all the welfare services that SUSU offers. The pictures are online and it can currently be found in the SUSU activities room. I plan to reuse it for work in Mental Wealth – so it will be making future appearances!

Who would you like to thank? My boyfriend for doing the IT things for my campaign (I realised how computer-illiterate I am), my friend Luke for his help with the posters, and my friend Binbin for helping me make the giant Monopoly Board… All the friends who helped promote me online (too many to mention!) and finally all the other candidates for being so supportive this week, there’s been a really nice atmosphere among the candidates which was nice, there wasn’t as much tension as I expected. Everyone’s been kind and supportive for the whole week.

Emma White

Sum up your feelings in three words? Sick, excited, ready.

How has the night been so far? It’s been good, I’ve got a group of friends around me, the people that helped me through the campaign, so it’s a really good atmosphere. I just want to know the results now!

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? I like Josh Cox’s Job Shop, I think it’s very clever and I think it’s needed. If I won, I’d want his help to promote it.

What has been your highlight of elections fortnight? I’d say getting to know the other candidates, I hadn’t met Josh or Katy [O’Brien, DCI Candidate] before and we’ve become really good friends. Also talking to students and getting my messages across – it’s been good when people have asked questions, showed they’ve read my manifesto and engaged with it. Not to mention the Arts & Crafts which have been hugely enjoyable – it’s been like Art Attack!

Who would you like to thank? So many people! Every person who’s helped me, be it for an hour or for a day, Sam Bailey for all my graphics, which are incredible, Tom Coole, my campaign manager. Charlotte Orla, Christine, David and Natalie who have been invaluable.

Josh Cox

Sum up your feelings in three words? Nauseous, apprehensive, excited.

How has the night been so far? Good, my friends have been around me and I haven’t drunk anything since campaign week started – I promised I wouldn’t until results were announced! People have been really supportive and have said my campaign’s been good, so fingers crossed!

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? It would be Emma White’s Men’s Mental Health Campaign, it’s something we really need in SUSU and if I won, my first thing would be to go to her and ask for her help in implementing it.

What has been your highlight of elections fortnight? I have two! The first one would be meeting Emma [White] and all the other candidates – we’ve become really close friends. The second would be the reactions to my lecture shout-outs – people have come up to me and said they really loved my slogan (“Everyone loves Cox”) which means it must be doing something right!

Who would you like to thank? Many people. Firstly Adam Proudley – despite running his own campaign (at the beginning) he agreed to be my campaign manager and has driven me around many places. Secondly Katy O’Brien [DCI Candidate] – we’ve done a lot together this week and she’s probably kept me sane! Alex Thompson, for making all my graphics and making me look relatively good on a poster, and finally – a bit cliché – but everyone out there who has believed in my campaign and supported me.

Beckie Thomas

Sum up your feelings in three words? Excited; grateful; colourful!

How has the night been so far? Busy!

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? One manifesto point would be to tackle men’s mental health – it’s a good thing that Emma wants to do.

What has been your highlight of elections fortnight? The mutual respect all the candidates have had for each other.

Who would you like to thank? Every single friend that has helped me out and every student who has bothered to vote for anyone!

VP Engagement

Ellie Cawthera

Sum up our feelings in three words? Engaged, happy, nervous.

How has the night been so far? Great, really really good

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? Ross idea of an ideas bank for creating events and projects was a really good idea because it makes it easier for people in he future to take on these tasks and then Jamie’s idea who wanted to engage more of the external communities such as school visits coming on to campus as well as local businesses

What was your highlight of elections fortnight? Getting all my friends together and being amazed at all of them doing amazing favours.

Who would you like to thank? The list is huge, Ali, Rosie, Nicole, Rose, Jazz, Beckie, Doug and Taz and Jamie and Ross because they’ve been great candidates who’ve made my week what is was.

Jamie Hemmingway

Sum up our feelings in three words? Really crapping myself

How has the night been so far? Good, very stressfull it’s been really nice seeing everyone dressed up

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? From Ross, it would be the ideas bank from past events and Ellie it would be sorting out venues for meetings with uni groups.

What was your highlight of elections fortnight? Going out every night and having lots of fun and meeting lots of really nice people.

Who would you like to thank? Ethan, who did my design, Trini, who did my campaign design, and all of my close friends that have helped me out.

Ross Nation

Sum up your feelings in three words? Stressed, tipsy and bleurgh.

How has the night been so far? Actually, it’s been really fun. Obviously I’ve been hanging around with campaign teams so yeah it’s been nice.

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? Ellie’s manifesto point about using outside companies, such as the Mitre’s conference room – I wouldn’t do that, but I’d maybe use offices etc for Enterprise groups.

What has been your highlight of elections fortnight? Probably meeting with lots of groups that I hadn’t previously met with, various charities and such.

Who would you like to thank? All of my campaign team, which is a lot of people – and Beth!

VP Sport:

Katie Lightowler

Sum up your feelings in three words? Nervous, excited and jittery

How has the night been so far? Really good, there’s so many people here, it’s so friendly just a really great atmosphere

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? Although I’m uncontested I could look at Alex’s manifesto; her focused a lot on medics and that’s something I hadn’t considered but will endeavour to do so if election

What has been your highlight of elections fortnight? This will sound weird, but the debate – I was so nervous but even though I thought it didn’t go well, it’s such a great experience and Adam was such a gentleman throughout the whole thing.

Who would you like to thank? I would like to thank my housemates for putting up with smell of paint in the living room and being generally great, I’d also like to thank the Lacrosse girls and my family for all their support.

Union President

Laura Mason

Sum up our feelings in three words? Nervous but excited

How has the night been so far? It’s been a slow starting but I’ve lots of lovely friends here and we’ve been having a good time. It’s nice seeing everyone look a bit more relaxed.

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? Marcus’ point about loyalty cards for SUSU outlets, liked that!

What was your highlight of elections fortnight? The Support I’ve received from so many people AND karaoke at the Stags last night.

Who would you like to thank? The people that encouraged me to run and everyone that helped me.

Marcus Burton

Sum up your feelings in three words: Sober, nervy and fortunate!

How has the night been so far? It’s been really good, we’ve had a couple of really good results, I was excited about seeing the LipDub.

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? I would steal DMW’s part-time jobs on campus

What has been your highlight of elections fortnight? The amount of random people messaging me out of the blue, saying they’ve heard I’m running and saying ‘I’ll vote for you’ and spread the word. The amount of people who’ve come up to me and wished me
luck has been one of the best things.

Who would you like to thank? Okay, David, Laura, Henry, Joe, Jed and Michael (or Cap’n Redbeard). I think as a set of Presidential candidates we’ve been really positive and it’s been about offering the students different visions of where the union should go, and it hasn’t degenerated into any personal attacks. You just have to listen to the Surge interview to hear how well we all get on. I also need to thank Megan Downing and Jamie Hemingway, and Moggy who have all been fantastic. I really wouldn’t be running without them.

Henry Pearson

Sum up your feelings in three words? Excited, nervous and excited! (Again)

How has the night been so far? It’s been slightly drawn out, but interesting. There’s a nervous atmosphere in a sense.

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? It would probably be Marcus’ ‘loyalty card’ for SUSU outlets scheme.

What has been your highlight of elections fortnight? Probably the close of physical campaigning because the candidates were all together, having fun and – it was the close of campaigning!

Who would you like to thank? Jade Head for persuading me to run, and Candace Jackson for pretty much running my life for the
last week.

Joe Hart

Sum up your feelings in three words? Drunk, jolly and drunk.

How has the night been so far? Absolutely fantastic, the vibe has been great, everyone is fantastic – and everyone is really positive, even people running in ‘real’ races and we’ve all just really got along as candidates!

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? I would steal the idea of a wall between us and Solent.

What has been your highlight of elections fortnight? Now this is a weird one – we were filming the final video of our joke and and it was fight between Capn’ Redbeard and his crew, the ‘Winchester Independence Army’. We had a giant fight with swords and
Nerfguns – it was ‘balls to the wall’ fun.

Who would you like to thank? Guy and David Martin and Democracy as a whole for putting up with our joke antics, and ComedySoc who pretty much wrote all of the funny things; we’re just performers and they wrote all of the funny things. And I could do
generic thanks but I think everyone else has already done.

David Mendoza-Wolfson

Sum up your feelings in three words? I’m really nervous.

How has the night been so far? It’s been good fun but I’ve got that fear at the pit of my stomach. It looks really good down there (in the cube) the atmosphere has been fantastic.

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? Henry’s bike policies…I liked them.

What has been your highlight of elections fortnight? Well, today I walked into a lecture hall and I heard a few people say ‘ooh it’s Mr Wolfson!’ That was nice.

Who would you like to thank? David Gilani. Because he is a great president and a great leader and I wouldn’t have run if it
wasn’t for him.

Michael Andrews (Pirate Candidate)

Sum up your feelings in three words? Pretty, darn, excited.

How has the night been so far? It’s been jolly good!

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? I like the idea of a free Winchester, we’ll split them off as a separate raiding fleet!

What has been your highlight of elections fortnight? I think the debates were some of the most fun but having said that, I enjoyed occupying the red brick with pirates on Wednesday!

Who would you like to thank? I would like to think anyone daft enough to vote for me and all the serious candidates who have had to put up with my antics over the past few weeks! Also, Joe and Jed for giving me a guest part in the saga with SUSU the cat.

Jed Dummer-Marshall

Sum up our feelings in three words? Drunk fuzzy and fantastical

How has the night been so far? Tiring but rewarding.

If you could steal one manifesto point from your opponent(s), what would it be? It’d be Laura’s because she put societies at the top of her list and that’s the most important thing for the union to do.

What was your highlight of elections fortnight? The filming because whilst we’re joke candiates, we’ve put in as much effort to make people laugh. Those videos took a lot of time and it was worth it in the end.

Who would you like to thank? Joe Hart obviously, Oliver Clarke-Derby, Xanthippe Waldron, Catherine Darcy, Tom Hunt and Joel Jackson and Ethan Thomas and Mike Cotterell.

More articles in SUSU Elections 2014
  1. SUSU Elections 2014 Candidates: The Full List
  2. VP Education Debate: Summary
  3. VP Engagement Debate: Summary
  4. Union President Candidate Withdraws from Elections
  5. VP Democracy & Creative Industries Debate: Summary
  6. VP Welfare Debate: Summary
  7. VP Communities Debate: Summary
  8. VP Sports Debate: Summary
  9. Union President Debate Liveblog 2014
  10. Second Union President Candidate Withdraws
  11. Elections Candidates Disadvantaged After Posters Arrive Late
  12. ‘Joke’ Elections Candidate Gets Serious
  13. A Quick Guide to Your VP Education Candidates
  14. A Quick Guide to Your VP Engagement Candidates
  15. VP Sports Development Candidate Withdraws
  16. A Quick Guide to Your VP Democracy and Creative Industries Candidates
  17. A Quick Guide to Your VP Sport Candidates
  18. Campaigning During SUSU Elections: The Guide
  19. A Quick Guide to Your VP Welfare Candidates
  20. Why Are You Reducing Me to a Sexual Object?: One Candidate’s Experience of Elections
  21. A Quick Guide to Your VP Student Communities Candidates
  22. A Quick Guide to Your Presidential Candidates
  23. Exit Polls: SUSU Elections 2014
  24. Nightline Officer Candidate Victim of Email Spoof
  25. Why Vote?
  26. Elections Night 2014 Liveblog
  27. Candidate Live Interviews 2014
  28. Elections 2014: Sabbatical Winners Interviews
  29. Candidates Announced For VP Student Communities By-Election
  30. Anjit Aulakh Elected as VP Student Communities