A student was hospitalised after an attack by three other students early on Saturday 22nd February at Romero Halls on Archers Road left him with a laceration wound to his neck.

The 19-year-old male victim was attacked as he left a female student’s room at around 2:30 am. Two men and a woman were arrested in connection with the attack, all of them also 19 years of age.

The laceration to his neck is believed to have been caused by a broken bottle. He managed to cycle home before realising the extent of his injury. The bleeding from the wound required hospital treatment.

Emergency cleaners were dispatched to the halls to clear up a quantity of blood from the corridor and stairs, and they remained there until early Saturday evening.

The three arrested have been bailed until April 9th while enquiries continue. As of yet, nobody has been charged with anything.

The police are currently investigating and would appeal for anyone with information or witnesses to call Detective Constable Claire Ratcliffe at Shirley CID on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

6 Comments »

• Oliver

This is a really inaccurate report. Sad to see that students can’t escape the urge to write like a tabloid.

Sam Everard

Every piece of information in here is from official statements given to us by the police and the university. If you think there are inaccuracies, you should take it up with them.

• George

This is a biased report, taken from perhaps one police statement, it is not a fully fledged account of the events and statements such as “19-year-old male victim was attacked” should be retracted until the full truth of matters is known. I agree with Oliver. It is a shame that the students writing for the university cannot refrain from publishing inaccurate articles in order to create sensationalism. It is thoroughly inappropriate.

Joe Taylor

As said above, this information is from the police and the university so it’s all we have to go on. If you think it’s inaccurate, please report to them.

Regarding sensationalism, it’s not our job to create hysteria and it’s something we take great effort to avoid. This is a news piece stating facts because we’re not here to form opinions for people.

Proletariat

I know the kid who was attacked and it is totally accurate. The kid was attacked leaving a flat by two people in the flat and he was in hospital all saturday having glass removed from his face and his neck stitched up, they were millimetres away from slitting an artery.

• Sam Everard

To rectify an earlier comment, what was previously stated as an ‘official statement’ was actually a statement from an official. Apologies for any inconvenience caused by that error.