The University of Southampton will be hosting one of the first student led start up weekend and hackathons in the whole of the UK. The event is being put together by 4 of our university students: Alejandro Saucedo, Tahlie Cooper, Ali Amouzadeh and Roberto Gregoratti.

This weekend will bring 48 hours of innovative development, creative design and entrepreneurial excellence, participants pitch ideas for start ups, form teams and present their completed idea to a panel of experts.

In the past, the judging panel has been graced with the presence of professionals from Amazon and Entrepreneur First. This event introduces a new panel, with judges from the companies Student Startups, UP Global and Appsbroker.

This Startup Weekend is sponsored by global company Microsoft and local success IT Security Experts.

Startup weekends make up some of the best entrepreneurial events in the UK, forming a global network of budding entrepreneurs determined to produce the next biggest startup! A 100% non profit event, participants are provided with the best facilities along with an experience to remember. This year, participants will be able to use 3D printers to aid them in presenting their new products to the judging panel. Winners of this event will have the opportunity to compete to win a fully paid trip to Silicon Valley California.

But this event is not just about winning. Participants will enjoy talks and mentoring sessions from business and technology professionals, as well as being given presentations on the latest innovative technology. Google Glass is returning to the university, with the addition of Oculus Rift for students to enjoy.

The event begins this Friday 7th at 6.00pm and will continue through to Sunday evening, when the winner for the best startup is announced.

The Wessex Scene will keep you updated on Southampton Startup Weekend throughout the course of the weekend. For more information please visit http://southampton.startupweekend.org/  

2 Comments »

• Dan Palmer

This looks great. Also good to see that the focus is slowly shifting to be less about tech startups to be more general with the inclusion of things like the 3D printers.

It’s a shame they picked the same weekend as “National Hack the Government 2014″ which I signed up for months ago.

Tahlie Cooper

Hi Dan, yes that is such a shame! But rest assured startup weekends are a fast expanding influence here in the UK. This weekend there are events like ours happening in at least 5 other countries right now! There will be another one in Southampton soon…I’ll make sure of it! :D