It is the end of the road for Southampton on University Challenge, as last night the team were knocked out by Manchester University in their third quarter-final game.

Southampton lost to Manchester University, who won the round with a score of 200 against Southampton’s 80 points and will now be going through to the semi-finals.

Manchester University, who currently hold the title, have won the academic quiz show for two consecutive years running.

Photo Credit: BBC

Photo Credit: BBC

Southampton have fared very well throughout the series, despite losing their first game against the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS). After qualifying as a highest-scoring loser, the team won against Loughborough University with a score of 185 points.

The success continued as Southampton then gained the highest score of the current series so far,  when they finished with 335 versus Bangor University’s 60 points in the second round.

Southampton then stormed through the first stage of the quarter-finals with a victorious 290 points against Queen’s University Belfast.

However, the team were beaten by Somerville College, Oxford and were left with one more chance against Manchester University to make it through to the semi-finals.

Mascot: SUSU the Cat has been a loyal mascot throughout the show.

Mascot: SUSU the Cat has proven to be a loyal member of the team.

Despite the subsequent defeat, this series has been Southampton’s most successful appearance on the show in recent years. When Southampton last made it onto the show, it was in 2010, where the team lost in round one with 115 points to Newnham College, Cambridge.

This year’s University Challenge team comprised of team captain Bob De Caux alongside David Bishop, Richard Evans and Matt Loxham, also joined by their loyal mascot SUSU the Cat.

Find out more about this year’s team and what the University Challenge experience was like, when the Wessex Scene interviewed team captain Bob De Caux during the early stages of the competition last August.

Missed the episode? Watch it here