The University of Southampton’s newest halls of residence has topped out.

Mayflower Halls as they stand in March 2014.

The Mayflower Plaza development is located in the city centre next to the Mayflower Theatre and is within easy access of Southampton Central train station, city centre and Bedford Place.

The site is being built by developers Osborne and Terrace Hill, with backing from Legal and General and is being let to the University for accommodation on a 38 year lease. It will house a café, gym, learning centre, small supermarket as well as study bedrooms for 1,300 students. The site has stood empty for decades after previous attempts at regeneration failed. The developers are spending £70 million on the development on top of the £7.4 million they paid for the site in 2007.

Mayflower Halls as seen from Commercial Road. The cladding is more complete on this side.

The topping out ceremony was held on Tuesday 25 February and marked the completion of the tallest building’s superstructure, some 17 storeys high. The ceremony was attended by representatives from the University, Osborne and Terrace Hill.

Mayflower halls is not the only accommodation development currently underway. The City Gateway project in Swaythling topped out last year and is also due to be completed before the next academic year. That development will house 364 student bedrooms, let out by developers Bouygues Development to the University of Southampton. City Gateway will also house a supermarket as well as a doctor’s surgery and pharmacy. It aims to be a landmark building to mark the city limits and has faced many problems to get this far.

The other major development is the rebuilding of Chamberlain hall. The old Chamberlain was demolished in the summer of 2012 and planning permission was gained in December 2012. The University is expected to begin building this year and will house 420 students in four blocks.

You can learn more about Mayflower Plaza here, City Gateway here and Chamberlain halls here.