Update: Fire at Southampton Mental Health Unit

Over 40 firefighters attended the Royal South Hants hospital after a blaze broke out last night.

An emergency call was made at 7.11pm last night from the Brintons Road hospital.

Firefighters used breathing apparatus and jets to tackle the flames at the city’s mental health unit. 30 patients were evacuated by the fire crew, with 4 casualties being led to safety after suffering from smoke inhalation. One woman was taken to hospital by an ambulance.

Station manager Rob Cole reported what had happened:

[quote align=”left” name=”” role=””]There was a small amount of fire damage to the affected ward and smoke damage to around a quarter of it. The fast work of the crews prevented any further damage to the rest of the hospital.[/quote]

The fire had been put  out by 8.23pm, leaving 5% of the ward damaged with larger areas damaged by the smoke.

The cause of the fire remains under a major investigation.

This is the latest incident to take place at the hospital, after being held under inspection a number of times with matters related to the handling of patient drugs and patient care plans.

Update: The police are now treating the incident as arson. A 36 year old woman is helping with the inquiry.

Editor of Wessex Scene 2014-15 Features Editor 2013-14 Writer 2012-2013 I have been involved with the publication throughout my time at university. As editor, I have worked with my team to redesign the magazine, the website and even create special editions on top of our monthly issues. I primarily write news, features and lifestyle pieces.