The Dancing showcase Pure Dance has raised £1,022 from donations for Cancer Research UK.

Pure Dance Cheque Handover

The cheque for the amount was handed over on Friday, 28 March following the show’s last weekend. Featuring over 300 dancers, Pure Dance is a showcase of talent from ten of the University’s Dance Societies: Ballet, Ballroom & Latin, Bellydance, Bhangra, Breakdance, Contemporary, Jazz, Salsa, Street and Tap. The event consisted of 2-3 minute sequences by the societies, intercut with video clips of other aspects of Performing Arts life.

We’re so happy with this result.

Sammi Gardiner
Dance Societies Rep, SUSU Performing Arts

The event was organised by Sammi Gardiner, Dance Societies rep for SUSU Performing Arts, who decided to collect for charity as a result of a nomination by Union President David Gilani to perform a Random Act of Kindness (RAK). These RAK nominations were a response to the NekNominate trend present on social media earlier in the year.

Collections for Cancer Research UK took place before, after and during the performances and a grand total of £1,022 was raised for the charity. Speaking exclusively to the Wessex Scene, Sammi expressed her gratitude and amazement at the event’s success:

It went incredibly well, with all the money raised and with everyone generally enjoying it. We pretty much sold out on two of the five showings so it went very well. We were both so proud of ourselves for putting it on but also so impressed for those that actually donated this amount of money. We’re so happy with this result.

The cheque was received on behalf of Cancer Research UK by Local Fundraising Manager Bridgett Vane who commented:

We’re always thrilled when people put on an event for us and this is an amazing result. Without fundraising, we wouldn’t be doing what we do which is funding research, particularly here at the Southampton CRUK centre, to find new treatments for Cancer. We’re very thrilled with Sammi and the team for what they’ve done.

You can find out more about the event at the Performing Arts website.