A murder investigation has been launched following the death of a local man in Eastleigh this morning.

It is believed the man was involved in an altercation at around 4:30am in the residential area of the High Street where he sustained severe head injuries. He was attended to by an ambulance crew and then rushed to Southampton General Hospital where he died a short time later.

The cause of death has not yet been established but two men have been arrested in connection with the incident and are currently in custody.

Part of the High Street is currently closed to allow the crime scene to be forensically examined.

Detective Superintendent Paul Barton who is leading the investigation said:

“We want to reassure local residents that this appears to be an isolated incident and if they have any concerns to come forward and speak to officers.”

He also stated that one of the suspects may have lost their footwear during the incident and asked:

“if any local residents find any shoes discarded in their garden or along the road from the route along the High Street to Chestnut Avenue to please just contact us and we will collect them.”

Anyone who has information which can assist this investigation is urged to call 101 and quote Operation Bedale. Alternatively, information can be left anonymously with Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111.