The University of Southampton’s Feminist Society have raised over £1000 after a recent fundraising event for Southampton Women’s Aid. 

sleep out 1

‘Sleep Out’ saw 11 members from the society camp out on the University Redbrick on May 2nd, from 6pm to 6am. The participants lined the concrete with cardboard, wrapped themselves in sleeping bags and huddled up for 12-hours without sleep, in order to raise money for the charity.

A total of £1,005 was raised from ‘Sleep Out’ – this is the most money FemSoc have raised for a charity so far – with an estimated £100 in the RAG bucket from the night, as well as last minute donations.

sleep out 2

Emily Brocklebank, President of Feminist Society said:

The ‘Sleep Out’ was a great way for us to wrap up the year’s activities with a big impact. I’d like to say a massive thank you to all the people that sponsored us, to those that came along to support us, to the interesting folks that stopped to chat to us. Last but not least, well done to the dedicated and inspirational people that completed the event to raise money for Southampton Women’s Aid! I am so proud of you all! GO FEMSOC!

On top of the success of ‘Sleep Out’, FemSoc have also raised £237.27 from the ‘Empower Each Other’ Discussion Panel during International Women’s Week.

Southampton Women’s Aid is an essential service for women and children in the area. They work with women, young people and children that have been affected by domestic violence.

For more information on Southampton Women’s Aid, visit the website.