SUSU AGM Liveblog

0

15.24

Policy is passed.

15.23

Oli gets us going again with a policy that would require sabbs to visit satellite campuses.

15.21

And we’re back.

15.18

Apologies – forgot to say we’re currently on another short break.

15.08

Jake Fritz makes an impassioned plea for affording women some measure of compassion. Seems to go down well with many in the audience.

15.03

Should the money needed to convert all toilets into having a bin for sanitary towels be spent instead on societies?

15.01

Next up, gender neutral toilets. Hopefully this won’t prove as controversial as the last policy.

14.59

That policy has been passed to Democracy zone. Given Henry’s passionate speech just now I doubt that will please him.

14.58

“We should not refer this issue to some faceless body. Lets not fail students”.

14.52

The vote could come down to who can hold their hand up the highest.

14.51

Vote has be redone because it was so close. You could cut the tension with a spoon.

14.49

Would a referendum be too divisive?

14.48

Referendum gets mentioned again. That woke the audience up.

14.45

DMW believes there should be more discussion on the matter (and as an incumbent who ran again, he’s probably got some views on this topic).

14.42

“Procedural Motion D!

….what’s that?”

14.41

Josh believes the fact that limits would have stopped David Gilani, the best candidate according to him, from running shows their drawbacks.

14.38

Are national politics the same as student politics? That seems to be at the core of the argument of those opposed.

14.34

Jade citing further studies which suggest incumbents have a huge advantage.

14.32

Emily arguing the national laws that limit sabbaticals to two years is sufficient and believes SUSU is transparent enough to allow new candidates equality of opportunity.

14.28

Debate about the whether we should limit the discussion. Speed or detail, which would you rather have?

14.26

“DENIED.” Sorry David.

14.25

Making a very good case, citing the various reasons why rerunning sabbaticals have a significant advantage.

14.22

Gabriela is back to talk about rerunning sabbaticals.

14.21

May have missed the restart due to a trip to the loo. I now have an excuse to eat more of these delicious mini scones.

13.49

We’re now breaking for lunch. Free food!

13.46

Jade seems to have come round to DMW’s view.

13.43

Claire believes the policy as it currently stands doesn’t go far enough. She doesn’t want to leave a disappointing legacy.

13.42

He makes a compelling point.

13.41

Gabriela is up to speak about the EVAs. DMW believes we should get a review on the EVAs first rather than create a formal policy.

13.38

Policy is passed. Yay for freedom of speech?

13.37

Jade is taken aback at all the discussion on this policy.

13.36

Emily believes we shouldn’t leave too much discretion in the hands of the president. Marcus adds that he believes there are sufficient constraints in this area.

13.32

Katy is very impressed we have an online audience today voting on procedural motions.

13.29

DMW believes some of the current provisions in the amendment would ensure the course reps can adequately represent student interests.

13.26

Who doesn’t love procedural motions?

13.22

Next up is a policy about SUSU censorship. An issue near and dear to our heart.

13.20

And that’s another policy passed.

13.19

Jamie, as Student Groups Officer, signals his support for the policy.

13.18

He believes societies would benefit from a centralised source of funds, streamlining the current system.

13.15

Marcus is up again, in his very fetching onesie, to speak about a SUSU bank.

13.15

Lots of hands up. Students like comfy chairs. Who knew?

13.12

Sophie Isherwood is now arguing for upgrading the chairs in the Union cinema.

13.10

And the policy goes to the Trustee Board.

13.08

David Gilani believes this is a matter for the trustee board, with an eye towards bringing a referendum. DUN DUN DUN the R word!

13.07

There’s a man with a giant squid on his head. Am I dreaming?

13.05

Gabriela thinks the policy will have knock-on effects that haven’t been considered.

13.04

Josh Cox speaks in favour of the policy that SUSU outlets should not charge extra for card purchases under £5. Marcus Burton suggests an amendment about greater advertising of the charge.

13.01

Our second policy is again comfortably passed.

12.59

David Gilani speaks in favour, saying there are enough safeguards in the proposal to ensure trolls aren’t fed.

12.56

Jamie Hemingway is up to speak against the proposal, saying he believes it will just feed the trolls, despite the promises of moderation.

12.56

Giles Howard is next up, with a policy that suggests we should be able to ask more personal questions to individual candidates during elections instead of the current system where all enquiries need to be broad so that all candidates can respond.

12.54

And that policy is carried.

12.49

He believes any votes regarding supporting or opposing industrial action should be far more neutral if we want to be considered a serious organisation. Quite a nebulous distinction but there doesn’t seem to be any opposition.

12.47

First policy proposal today is concerning industrial action by staff. DMW is up to speak.

12.44

Our next president is now just DMW. You know someone’s important when they’re known just as a bunch of initials.

12.43

Oli Coles is talking about encouraging more students to get involved in elections.

12.41

Look forward to a renovated Activities Room next year!

12.39

David Martin is off getting employed and Beckie Thomas is advocating for us at the Lords today. How inconsiderate of them.

12.36

Apparently there has been a mix up in the policy numbering.

12.35

We have an unexpected plea on behalf of RON. Some believe the current system needs a challenge.

12.33

A very informal speech.

12.32

First manifesto promise: Oscar-style tunes to play people off when they talk too much.

12.31

Ben Morton steps us to convince why he should be Council Chair.

12.30

The wonders of parliamentary procedure.

12.29

Now he’s discussing our external auditors.

12.29

Up down up down. David’s getting a workout.

12.28

What has SUSU achieved this year? David had hoped to impress us with a video but alas, technical issues have arisen. It should be available on Youtube though.

12.26

“We’ll get out of the boring stuff soon” Katy (Council Chair).

12.25

And our financial statement has been approved.

12.24

First up is our esteemed President David Gilani.

12.22

Our Council Chair is currently running through the plan for today.

Hi everyone and welcome to our coverage of today’s Annual General Meeting!