The US Coast Guard have decided to resume the search for the crew of the Cheeki Rafiki, which had previously been called off on Sunday.

Kay Coombes, the sister of Steve Warren, one of the missing sailors, confirmed that she was on the phone to the US Coastguard when they decided to resume the search. The Daily Echo reported she said: “They put me on hold and then they came back to say they had just decided now to start searching again.” A US Coast Guard spokesman also confirmed to the newspaper that the organisation has “resumed search efforts” and will release more information when it becomes available.

Families of the crew are “over the moon” with the news. BBC News reported, Graham Male, father of crew member James, as saying: “We haven’t got the full details yet as we are in the process of travelling to the Foreign Office,” but “from what we have heard it’s really what we have been campaigning for.” He added they are “really optimistic that we are going to find them.”

Tracy Edwards, who skippered the first all-female crew in the Whitbread Round the World Yacht Race told BBC News she is “absolutely delighted” that the search is resumed. Prime Minister David Cameron also tweeted: “My thanks to the US Coast Guard, which has resumed its search for our missing yachtsmen.”

The families are heading to Westminster for talks with Foreign Secretary William Hague, Minister of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Hugh Robertson, and representatives from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

Garry Miller, the father of James’ girlfriend Adele, said: “We couldn’t have done this without the public and the media. We would have never got this far.”

The online petition gathered 200,000 signatures, including those of Romsey and Southampton North MP Caroline Nokes, Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt and notable members of the sailing community.

Leave your response!