Anjit Aulakh Elected as VP Student Communities

1

Anjit Aulakh has been elected as the new VP Student Communities in today’s SUSU by-election.

The by-election was carried out after Oli Coles decided not to take up his second term after being re-elected in the position during the SUSU elections in February.

Voting for the by-elections opened between Wednesday 11th June and Friday 13th, the results announced this evening in the Bridge.

Upon winning the role, Anjit told the Wessex Scene

“I feel extremely excited, and I would just like to thank each and every member of my campaign team for all their support…I’d also like to thank my parents!” 

anjit

A total number of 826 votes were cast, for a full breakdown of the votes verified by the Returning Officer, please click here.

VP Student Communities represents the interests of particular sub-groups within the overall student body. This not only includes those at Southampton but also other sites such as Winchester School of Art and the National Oceanography Centre.

It is also the job of VP Student Communities to support students from hard to reach communities, such as international students, mature students, post-graduate students and student parents. They must lead and support JCR committees for halls and private rented accommodation, whilst also providing community and social cohesion between these groups of students.

Anjit completes the Sabbatical team for 2014-2015. He will begin his position on July 1st alongside elected VPs Sophia D’angelico, Megan Downing, Ellie Cawthera, Katie Lightowler and Union President David Mendoza-Wolfson.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene since 2013. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.