Professor Dame Wendy Hall, the Dean of Physical Sciences and Engineering at the University of Southampton has been named as the most influential woman in UK IT.

National computing website, Computer Weekly distinguished Dame Wendy as number one in the top 25 women who have had a major impact on UK IT.

Computer Weekly’s list focuses on role models that will be important and influential to the future diversity and success of the UK’s high-tech economy.

Dame Wendy said of the recognition:

“I’m delighted and flattered to have been named as the most influential woman in UK IT, alongside such distinguished names. I applaud Computer Weekly for their efforts to highlight the vital role of women in IT in the UK, which is far more significant than is often realised,”

“Such publicity will encourage others to consider careers in an industry that is one of the most exciting and important to be in today,” she added.

Dame Wendy Hall, Professor of Computer Science at the University of Southampton.

The winners were selected by a judging panel of employers and IT leaders from across industry, as well as readers of the digital magazine that is the leading provider news, analysis, opinion, information and services for the UK IT community.

Dame Wendy has held many leadership roles in addition to her academic research and in the development of the World Wide Web. Dame Wendy is also a founding director (along with Tim Berners-Lee, Nigel Shadbolt and Daniel J Weitzner) of the Web Science Research Initiative, a long-term research collaboration between the University of Southampton and MIT.

Watch Dame Wendy’s speech on her award from Computer Weekly here.  For the list, click here