A dedicated and enthusiastic team of over 100 University of Southampton students have been busy building a car to race against 114 other teams at Silverstone for Formula Student 2014.

Supervising Lecturer Professor Andy Cruden (left) & University of Southampton Vice Chancellor Professor Don Nutbeam (second from left) with Team Leader James Le Hoax (driving seat) and SUFST team members.

Formula Student aims to challenge universities from across the world to design, build and race a single seat racing car from scratch in one year – before putting it to the test at one of the world’s greatest racetracks.

“We believe that an engineering university of the calibre of Southampton is more than capable of competing with the best the world has to offer and we will strive to achieve that.” 

James Le Hoax

James Le Hoax,  current Team Leader of SUFST (Southampton University Formula Student Team) said: “One of the biggest challenges in Formula Student is the time scale; we start designing the car at the beginning of the academic year in September to race the following July. That gives us just over nine months to completely design and build a new car.”

The entire chassis of the SUFST car has been constructed on-site at the university. The team have also made use of 3D printing facilities to produce a new intake manifold for the engine.

Last year was the first time the University of Southampton team had competed in the competition since 2005. The team passed all the tests and took part in every event, finishing 82nd out of 120 teams.

Download Video from YouTube | Convert to MP3 | Replay Media Catcher

The University of Southampton will be joined by 61 teams from other UK universities and 53 electric vehicles. Moreover, for the first time, teams from China, Ecuador and Jordan will compete – as well as teams from South Africa, Pakistan, Australia, Canada and India.

The competition is run by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and takes place at Silverstone motor racing circuit from 9-13th July. 

For more information on SUFST visit the website or  follow the team on Twitter.