Southampton will be the setting for Channel 4’s forthcoming series Immigration Street, it was confirmed yesterday.

The six-part series will be filmed on Derby Road – near Royal South Hants Hospital – in the Bevois area of the city.

Derby Road, Southampton. Photo courtesy of Google Maps.

In April this year, Kieran Smith of Love Productions had said that his company had been talking to residents on the Southampton street, describing it as “a place with a long history of an immigrant population”.

“We thought Derby Road was an interesting area that reflects what happens when immigrants move into an area and change the look of an area,”

Kieran Smith
Love Productions

Channel 4’s head of documentaries, Nick Mirsky, said “Immigration is clearly an emotive issue dominating British politics and debates right now.

“Although the experience of the changes brought about by immigration will be different from place to place, we expect many of the themes that emerge from following life on Derby Road will resonate across the country.”

Immigration Street is a follow-up to television series Benefits Street, which followed the lives of people living on a Birmingham street. In a similar vein, Immigration Street will follow the lives of residents on Derby Road.

Benefits Street was screened last year and documented the lives of several residents of James Turner Street, Winson Green, Birmingham.

Benefits Street, described as ‘highly-controversial’, was aired last year. Despite being a ratings hit, the show received more than 900 complaints and was criticised for its negative portrayal of benefits claimants.

Immigration Street will be aired in 2015.