The University of Southampton Students’ Union (SUSU) has appointed a new chief executive.

Scott McCarthy, SUSU's new Chief Executive.

Scott McCarthy, SUSU’s new Chief Executive.

Scott McCarthy starts his job at SUSU on the 12th August, having previously served in other international membership organisations and as Chief Executive of the British Judo Association for ten years. It was under his tenure that the association gained two medals at the London 2012 Olympics.

He takes over from former Chief Executive Jaki Booth who joined SUSU in 2009 and has overseen a complete change in the organisation and how it is run. Jackie’s changes included reforming the senior leadership team to the current sabbatical and student leader format and ensuring student involvement at every stage of the process. In recognition, she was awarded the status of Honorary Vice-President of the Union at the last Union Council. She has since moved on to the position of Chief Executive of the University of Sheffield Students’ Union, the highest rated students’ union in the country.

Speaking about his new job, Scott McCarthy commented:

“I am thrilled to be moving into this high energy sector which plays such a vital role in developing and positively influencing the lives of thousands of people. The Students’ Union plays a pivotal role in ensuring that every student is developed and supported during their time at the University of Southampton, and I want to ensure that our members get the most from their time here.

I very much look forward to working with the exceptional Student Officers and the strong and dynamic staff complement to ensure that SUSU – which is a very good organisation – gets better every day.”

The Chief Executive works with the Sabbatical officers and Trustees to drive forward the strategic direction of SUSU, create ventures that impact on students and encouraging relationships between the Union, University and the wider community.