Falling Tree Kills Man on Southampton Common

An elderly man who was crushed after a tree had fallen on him on Southampton Common has died in hospital.

Hampshire Constabulary were called to reports that the elderly man had sustained serious injuries after a tree had fallen on him near Hawthorne’s Wildlife Centre on the Southampton Common. 

Ten firefighters from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service spent more than an hour freeing the man with specialist equipment after the tree fell on him at about 1pm on Wednesday 6th August.

[quote align=”left” name=”Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service” role=””]We were called at 13.10. There was a male casualty who was trapped by a fallen tree. We released him using specialist lifting gear and he was taken to hospital.[/quote]

Southampton City Council has said that the Health and Safety Executive has been making inquiries and will now launch an investigation into what had happened.

The elderly man was taken to Southampton General Hospital for treatment but later died from his injuries. The death is not being treated as suspicious.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.