The University bus service, Unilink, has changed their timetables for the new academic year with big changes coming to the U2 service.

Mayflower Halls, the new end point for the U2, as they stood in March 2014.

At present, the U2 service runs every half hour between the Civic Centre and Bencraft hall of residence, calling at Avenue, Boldrewood and Highfield campuses and Glen Eyre halls.

Under the changes, the city endpoint of the service will move from the Civic Centre to the (soon to be completed) new Mayflower halls of residence complex located nearby. The Civic Centre will no longer be served by the U2, but will continue to be served by the U1 and U6. As part of this change, the U2 will also serve Southampton Central train station.

The U2 also triples in frequency, with a bus every 10 minutes between Mayflower and Highfield campus, and a bus service every 20 minutes continuing onto Bencraft and Glen Eyre halls. The service will also boast a 20 minute evening and weekend service.

There are also service changes to the U1 and U6 with  more services to Eastleigh on the U1 in the morning and evening peak hours and re-timed morning services on the U6 following feedback that the services were poorly timed for medical students at the General Hospital.

The changes come into effect from Sunday 31st August.

Unilink have also been working on a mobile phone app which has now launched, allowing bus users to purchase bus tickets on their mobile phone and use the code generated as their ticket. This is based on an app launched by sister company Bluestar which has been in use for the past couple of years.

A summary of the changes can be seen here. Take a look at Unilink’s new network map here.