The University of Southampton’s newest halls of residences – ready for the new intake of students this September – were declared open this week at a plaque unveiling by Southampton MP John Denham.

The plaque unveiling for Mayflower Halls took place yesterday, 28th August, and was attended by councillors, University staff and the site’s developers, Osborne Developments.

The build represents an £80m investment in the city. The new student accommodation comprises of three residential blocks of up to 16 floors which will house approximately 1,100 students. The halls complex will also house a café, gym, learning centre and a small supermarket. 

Student residents will be able to take a direct bus to attend lectures at the University’s various campuses, whilst also enjoying a city centre location.

MP John Denham unveiling the plaque for Mayflower Halls.

MP John Denham, who was a Chemistry student at the University in the 1970s and later went on to become Union President, said:

“The University is really important to the City and these new halls of residence are a fantastic addition to Southampton’s landscape.

Not only will the Mayflower Halls bring a lot of young people into the most exciting part of Southampton, they help to complete the City’s cultural quarter between the arts centre and the Mayflower Theatre, bringing in all of these students to share in the exciting events the City has to offer.”

The University already has places for 4,760 students in halls across different areas of Southampton, as well as a further 500 places in Winchester for students studying at the Winchester School of Art.

The new halls will increase capacity for first year undergraduates, as well as accommodating some students in other years of study and first year postgraduate students. It is also hoped that the new accommodation will help to ‘ease pressure’ on Southampton’s private housing stock.

mayflower 1

Mayflower Halls. Photo courtesy of sotonstuserv.

Mayflower Halls. Photos courtesy of sotonstuserv.

The ‘topping out ceremony’ was held early this year on Tuesday 25th February and marked the completion of the tallest building’s superstructure, some 17 storeys high.

The Mayflower Halls site is located in the city centre next to the Mayflower Theatre and is within easy access of Southampton Central train station and Bedford Place.