Wilson Odhiambo Odek, a Student Ambassador for TEACH Africa at the University of Southampton is looking for 13-20 people interested in fundraising and/or going for a volunteering session in Moshi, Tanzania.

Wilson is still seeking assistance with recruitment and fundraising for the volunteering challenge. The non-profit NGO that he shall be fundraising for includes projects in Moshi, a place that will seriously benefit from the money raised. Provided below are more details on the THREE main projects run by the organisation:

(I) Kilipads Project- This revolves around the poor availability/distribution and knowledge of menstruation for the girls and women of the Msitu wa Tembo community in rural Moshi. Too many primary and secondary schools in this location do not support girls or their staff fellows (female teachers) in managing to deal with menstrual hygiene with dignity. Inadequate water and sanitation facilities have further demonstrated such difficulties.

The target is to buy materials (sanitary pads) in bulk and to supply these to the community. Essentially the fundraising will also allow the organisation to provide quality training to the locals, who will then be able to pass on their training in female health to other women. Of course funds will be heavily used into putting up fit and proper sanitation facilities.

(II) Waste Management Project- The organisation is closely working with the Pamoja Tunaweza Boys & Girls Centre in Moshi. This is a centre that offers both after school activities for in-school youth as well as structured training and a variety of programmes for older (out-of-school) youth in the local area. The project aims to maintain a sustainable environment for the region as tourism in Moshi is the principal economic activity, and protection of their natural resources is vital.

Such fundraising will go towards paying teachers at the centre to educate the young boys and girls on subjects such as business and environment, additionally building up several structures to store plastic waste before it is transported to the Arusha area.

(III) Voluntary Service- The concrete belief throughout the organisation is leaving the place you visit better than you found it! With that in mind, they aim to raise funds for building material (stones, windows, cement, sand, corrugated iron sheets) and text books, uniforms, stationery, board games and outdoor sports materials (bibs, footballs, basketballs, whistles, plastic posts, rounders’ bats and balls).

Wilson ” For all these projects, the organisation sets a target of £1,450 for the venture, hence my request for your support in raising this sum. This will take place from 1st August-14th August 2015. I thank you for taking the time to read through all of the information available and hope you will participate in some way as I take on this challenge. I’ve started fundraising and have set up my fundraising page at: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/WilsonOdek .”

For ANY enquiries on the above, feel free to contact Wilson on the details below:

Wilson Odek: Student Ambassador, University of Southampton TEACH – Time to Empower Africa’s CHildren  UK Registered Charity Number – 1137679 Phone: 07823618048          Kauli: kauli.co  Website: teachafrica.org.uk    Skype: wilson.ding16