The recent stories we’ve heard from around the world about the LGBT rights struggle sound a million miles away from the realities here. Abuse, violation of human rights and homophobic violence just seem like they are not such a problem here.

In Russia, it’s now illegal to promote ‘homosexual propoganda’ which effectively silences the LGBT voice and people are being jailed for supporting LGBT rights. The new film documentary Call Me Kuchu highlighted how gay people face the death penalty in Africa. In America, equal marriage is at the forefront of politics with only 9 states legalising same-sex marriage, and many more where all things LGBT are condemned. However, in the UK, we are considering introducing equal marriage and facing little opposition, an opposition which is mostly made up of ultra-religious leaders.

We are a lifetime ahead of many other countries and, honestly, I used to believe that the only real homophobia we saw here (apart from a few select extremists) was just ignorance. Many people haven’t been confronted with anyone LGBT before so don’t know how to act which, while it can make things awkward, is not exactly the same as hate crime. Where I live, in a beautifully generic southern semi-rural area, people tend to just need to accustom to different people. I remember my Granny announcing at Christmas that there were now three gay men (who apparently were all very nice men) living in her village, as if it was big, exciting news. In my area, people don’t mean any harm, even if they are a bit ignorant.

However, the reality is that homophobia is still present in the UK. Because it is not necessarily newsworthy in comparison with the extreme cases abroad, I tend to notice it the more I integrate myself into the LGBT community. There is still a great opposition to equal marriage here, and not just by people we would call extremists. One of my own friends was shook up after a gay bashing incident and a group of others beaten up on their way home for ‘looking gay’. I’ve heard people comment that all gays will go to hell or that being gay, bisexual or transgender is just a ‘phase’, I have experienced cases of sexual harassment but also know that it’s prevalent with both men and women, and always there is news of gay relationships not being taken seriously.

Maybe we won’t be hanged, or receive abuse on the streets to the same extent as in some other parts of the world, but that doesn’t mean we should put up with the homophobia and prejudices that remain here. I’m sure many people will see this article and think, ‘I don’t want to read that, it sounds gay.’

More articles in LGBT
  1. LGBT Network gains public presence on Facebook & plans LGBT History Month
  2. Malaysian Government Performing Seminars to Teach Parents and Teachers How to Spot Gay Kids
  3. Kill the Gays – A Fight Against Ugandan Oppression
  4. Brighton Pride Review
  5. Campaign started for a Southampton Pride event
  6. Two Gay Jamaicans Contest The Island’s Homophobic Laws
  7. Media Highlights Worrying Trend Of Gay Conversion Therapy
  8. Obama’s Promise for LGBT Equality Rivals Mitt Romney’s Shocking Policies
  9. Outraged Cardinal Keith O’Brien Wins Bigot Of The Year Award
  10. Homophobia in the UK?
  11. Shocking “Call Me Kuchu” Tells Ugandan LGBT’s Tragic Struggle For Safety
  12. Cameron gets his foot stuck in it, again
  13. America Approves of the LGBT Community
  14. Kill The Gays Bill to pass as ‘Christmas gift’ to Ugandans
  15. Sir Ian McKellen Stands Up Against Homophobic Bullying
  16. Uganda Drops Death Penalty From “Kill The Gays” Bill
  17. First Gay Mosque Of Europe Opens In Paris
  18. Same-sex Marriage To Become Legal In 2013
  19. Iowa Becomes The First Public University To Ask Applicants If They Are Gay
  20. BBC Report Shows Gay TV Characters Are Under Represented
  21. Amsterdam Celebrates Drag Queen Winter Olympics 2012
  22. 10 Overlooked LGBT News Stories of 2012
  23. Berlusconi Says Yes To Gay Marriage – But Will He Keep His Word?
  24. ‘Sugar Rush’ Writer’s Bigoted Transphobia Published
  25. Hampshire ‘Top Police Force 2013′ for LGB
  26. Gay Marriage Is A ‘Category Error’
  27. The Gay Agenda Marches On
  28. Same Sex Marriage Legalised for England and Wales
  29. The Gay Best Friend Myth
  30. MPs in Uganda Pass Anti-Homosexual Bill