Experts continue to be baffled by the rising profile and life span of a new species of bird which has set chins across the world wagging.

Scientists and twitchers alike have been enthralled by the progress of a new species of bird, which seems to have migrated to the West from Vietnam, and ecologists are pleased to see the population appears to be continuing to grow. Despite the very first sighting being back in May 2013, nearly a year ago, it wasn’t until recently that the bird, named Birdus flappius, has come into prominence not only among bird-lovers, but also in the world’s media. Interest has been sparked among hundreds of Facebook and Twitter users, who have come together in their billions to support this phenomenon.

1939860_737215916303722_1139381063_n

Birdus flappius can be spotted by its distinct and vivid plumage

The bird can seemingly be distinguished by the vibrant colours of its plumage, and by the unique call it makes, which many have compared to the sound of a doorbell. In terms of behaviour, little can be gleaned from the brief sightings for which people have been paying huge sums of money, other than its apparent propensity for flitting about in domestic plumbing systems, thus rendering it quite difficult to spot. There are numerous species that have mimicked the flight and mating patterns of the Birdus flappius, but they should not be confused with the rarity of the original.
Scientists have not yet had the chance to study the bird’s anatomy at any close proximity, but have estimated based on its flight patterns that the humerus in its wings is not very strong in supporting it in flight, and not especially designed for flying for great length of time, as many of the birds seem to struggle to remain airborne for any prolonged period.

IUCN-Red-List

Birdus flappius is in danger of making it onto IUCN’s Red List of endangered species

UPDATE: These birds seem to have greatly decreased in number in a matter of days, as many who seem to have been driven mad by the birds for reasons unknown to experts have risen up against them. Supporters are now paying huge sums of money just for sightings of the birds, but sadly their numbers are dwindling, and this species is becoming endangered. Copies of the rare creature are occurring more on the black market and authorities are keen to suppress the distribution of these false counterfeit replicas. Danish avian expert and spokesperson for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature, Dr. Flåap E. Burd, commented that “if action isn’t taken soon to stop this cull, Birdus flappius is close to extinction”.

One Comment »

• Nick C

I am embarrassed to say that I shot one of these when I found one in my house. There is evidence of it’s autogamy and the last thing I wanted was for the house to be over run by the pests!