Today, the citizens of the world’s most powerful state have been at polls voting for the next President of the United States; yes, that’s right. It’s election night

Welcome to the Wessex Scene’s Live Blog From the Stag’s Head! We’ll be giving you updates on results, the atmosphere and the general deterioration of people as the night goes on!

And it’s official; Obama is given another four years in office!

And remember to read this article on Obama’s term in office and what he needs to do to improve in the next four years….

05.06

ObamaWins-754813

05.04

Goodnight!

05.03

And perhaps, read this article on Obama’s term in office and what he needs to do to improve in the next four years….

05.03

And, we’re end with this; OBAMA HAS WON THE ELECTION

05.02

It’s been a long, long six hours, so thank you for sticking with us!

05.01

Thanks for reading! And special thanks to Jamie Barker and David Martin for their help with this live blog!

05.00

So I’ll be calling it a night…

05.00

Anyone, in fact

05.00

Okay, so no appearance of either Romney or Obama….

04.59

Apparently Romney only wrote a winning speech; oh dear.

04.58

Some nice videos of people celebrating

04.54

The flag-waving continues at Obama HQ…

04.53

Moves on to speech about congress and senate; these elections could be crucial to the President. The US political system is one built on checks and balances to ensure no one part of the state becomes too powerful; so without control of the House and Senate, policy-making can reach an impasse. Currently, this has been an issue with a Republican-controlled House and Democrat-controlled Senate, meaning few bills were passed; known as a “do-nothing Congress”. This looks set to continue….

04.52

He’s moved on to the bigger issues that face the US public – the deeply divisie regional and social split between those that vote Republican and those that vote Democrats…

04.50

He says campaign had three main points; the 47% remark of Romney, which disenfranchised the candidate to many; the first presidential debate, which questioned Obama’s enthusiasm for the role; and Hurricane Sandy, which showed Obama acting as President well.

04.48

It’s Mark Mandell time; the BBC US editor. His blogs are incredibly good.

04.47

Despite  the Associated Press, CBS, NBC, ABC and CNN all calling Ohio for Obama…ummmm?

04.47

Karl Rove is still banging on over on Fox News

04.45

Blah blah blah….all about the challenges Obama faces….something about a fiscal cliff…my brain hurts.

04.45

General consensus from this is that Obama was not to blame for economic crisis – that was Bush – and that he has dealt with it fairly well.

04.44

BBC are saying -11 electoral votes needed for democrat win; how is that going to happen?!

04.43

And lest we forget Ohio; once again, it backed the successful candidate…

04.42

Rumours are that Romney’s motorcade is on its way to the convention centre…hopefully soonish!

04.41

Nevada for Obama too. These just keep coming & coming.

04.41

No official concession from Mitt Romney – but the result has come extremely quickly out of nowhere.

04.39

Reports that Republicans are challenging the numbers in Ohio. Former Bush aide Karl Rove insists there are many votes still to count….Romney is unlikely to be so ungracious in defeat.

04.38

Questions asked over electoral system, considering Obama is still losing popular vote to Romney. No constitutional value though.

04.34

This election was, in many ways, the Republicans to lose; and lose it they did.

04.34

Nonetheless, clearly a vote against Romney, Ryan and the increasing conservative and Tea Party movement within the Republican party

04.31

Right. I (Barker) now need to pack up. I like The Stag’s as much as the next person but I’m almost certain I have something I’m to be doing tomorrow (and more importantly I’ll get in trouble if I don’t go) so au revoir, see you soon etc. Final thought – I’m offering a tenner to anyone who can get me Romney’s victory speech (that now won’t be needed). Would love to know what he would have said. Barker out.

04.30

It’s quite historic all this. Obama elected as incumbent with the close-to-the worst economic circumstances of any US president. Also, only western leader to manage to last through the recession and its economic spiral.

04.28

A fair way to repay the president for his bailing of the automobile industry in 2009; a industry that Romney was willing to allow to go bankrupt.

04.27

Applause all around the Stag’s. Well, as much as very tired people can be bothered too. I’m delighted I decided to stick around for this. Importance of the result? Republicans need a rethink. Who next for the Democrats? Will The Stag’s re-instate 2-4-1 on Thursdays?

04.27

So; it’s official. OBAMA HAS WON. HE HAS A PROJECTED ELECTORAL COLLEGE MAJORITY – OHIO will come through with his win.

04.26

Conversely, at Republican HQ, there look like they would be allowed of tears

04.25

There is some rocking party going on at “Obama HQ”….I’m hearing Aretha Franklin playing

04.24

Ohio. Obama. Win.

04.24

Looks as though the Stag’s has called it too. Laughter, Romney fans (still just that one guy) looking glum and people edging closer to the door (and then away again as they realise how cold it is). Game over?

04.23

So basically, the BBC are too scared to call it. But we (Jamie, Zander & David) are calling it: OBAMA HAS WON

04.22

Obama holds Iowa; now on 257 – 13 short of majority

04.21

The question is by how many votes now…

04.21

At the moment, this doesn’t look like it will be close. Obama has won. Romney has so far failed to get any major swing state to fall in his favour.

04.20

I can’t tell if/how many times we have called this – but to emphasise, I (Barker) reckon Obama’s got this.

04.20

@BarackObama : Four More Years.

04.19

Ohh. Republicans have began packing up and Democrats are cheering ’4 more years’. Words that could still come back to haunt them – but only in the biggest of shocks. It looks like Obama’s push to get people voting early has worked well for him.

04.18

@BarackObama : This happened because of you. Thank you.

04.17

Obama has tweeted and people in the U.S cheering the house down. In the Stags… someone said ‘yes’ quite loudly but otherwise its got to the ‘I’ll just check my phone…again’ stage.

04.17

Oregon held for Obama; only 19 needed to get over magic mark. Needs only Ohio or Colorado to win.

04.16

BIG NEWS: MOST TELEVISION NETWORKS CALLING AN OBAMA VICTORY

04.16

I’m listening to various songs which I feel are apt for this election stuff. It includes ‘Money, Money, Money’, ‘Born in the U.S.A’ and ‘Changed the way you kissed me’. Ok the last one is just to keep me awake.

04.15

Speaking of queues; there were some massive ones outside the Costa coffee van today. Students go crazy for free coffee it seems.

04.13

Here’s a new picture of some people queueing to vote; one I took earlier (editorial note; not true)

04.13

Tweet for you: “If Iowa and Colorado calls correct, Obama wins reelection.” Interesting stuff.

04.12

Some other election about a Senate or something is looking like a Democrat win. The tea party has done badly according to the BBC. If Romney does lose, Mr. Green (who should invest in a crystal ball) has already mentioned that the Republicans suffer more from independents than the Democrats.

04.11

CNN have also stated that the Democrats will keep its US Senate majority.

04.10

We’re into the 200s for both candidates now. Tension building.

04.09

It has to be said that the BBC’s coverage of this has been wonderful. Cool graphics, Dimbelby & Vine and reporters dotted around the U.S. Class Act.

04.08

Missouri goes to Mitt Romney; hold from 2008. Ten electoral votes to the Republican.

04.08

Jon Sopel – he ain’t no Jeremy Vine.

04.08

Re. 03.43 Mitt has take Arizona; North Carolina all but assured. Seems too little, too late.

04.06

Talks of possible re-counting. Think Al-Gore v Bush jnr. This could still go either way but its looking like thinks are tilting to camp Obama.

04.05

Re. 04.04 Re. 4.02 Think it was a good call; ABC news are coming through with news that Obama is leading, though remains in 0.5% recount percentage.

04.04

244 electoral college votes to Obama; 178 to Romney…26 from a Obama win.

04.04

Re. 4.02 (my one) Florida hasn’t gone to Obama. Not yet. If I’ve jynxed this – my bad. Mitt be the end of it..

04.03

Romney has held Idaho…so nothing changed.

04.02

David is just plain refusing to leave. Mr. Vine has him (and the stags in general) enthralled. At the moment Jeremy could say anything and I’d see it as truth. Also, FLORIDA TO OBAMA. According to our Romney fan here, that’s it, game over. Checkmate. Bingo. Wham bam thank you ma’am.

04.02

BIG BIG NEWS: Massive West Coast states coming in; all holds…to the Democrats; California (55 Votes by itself), Hawaii and Washington.

03.59

One of the BBC commentators (I missed their name at the beginning and now its too embarrassing to ask) is saying that tonight is a success because lots of women senators are being voted in. Also, David is still here…

03.59

Jeremy Vine is back. (and my housemate has just compared him to Mickey Mouse in Fantasia – another brain teaser)….Anyway, lets try to get back to the election

03.57

Best Tim Vine joke? “Conjunctivitis.com – that’s a site for sore eyes”

03.57

No. Just Me? Oh Well. He is no Tim Vine, though; is he?

03.56

Speaking of Jeremy Vine, has anyone else noticed what a dodel presenting Panorama is? He stands outside, talks about the issue in a scary voice and then it moves on to someone else doing the show.

03.55

David, who still hasn’t left, is explaining (with a tone of bitterness) that all these elections are ridiculously tight. With a big win only 54% or so. Fair point really – ‘its a close race’ has been the phrase of the night.

03.54

RE: 03.51  Nice stat Jamie; pretty sure it has occurred 4 times in US history in total.

03.54

Come back Jeremy! I miss your infographics.

03.53

Dimbleby keeps mentioning Jeremy Vine…but where has he gone?

03.53

It gets more and more entertaining as the BBC comes up with different ways to show how Romney could win, then to remind people just tuning in ‘this is just an example’. Making me picture people watching this and thinking Romney has won, and even more amusing, that people are just randomly tuning into this… at this time…

03.51

To add on to Mr. Green’s earlier point – I’m told (I’m trusting other people as I can’t tell facts for myself anymore) that Clinton won both his elections with less than the majority of US voting for him but winning the key states. As far as I know the only time that has happened in the UK was in 1951.

03.49

David, who said he was leaving, is currently sitting next to me going on about this and that – mainly talking about his dental health. Basically until Ohio or Florida does something we’re in limbo-ville.

03.49

Make of that what you will.

03.48

Think my housemate is getting tired; he just said “Politicians are pretty amazing, aren’t they?”

03.47

Spare a thought for Mr. Dimbelby, he just gets wheeled out for all these election evenings and to host Question Time. What if he’s not all that interested – like most of those remaining in the Stags, who are now just letting the coverage pass them by in the battle to stay awake.

03.46

Just going to blow my own trumpet and show that I stated as such a few days ago:

“Indeed, it is more than likely a similar set of circumstances will occur tomorrow; polls position Romney and Obama as a very even 48% split of the electorate. Romney is likely to win many of the red states with ease, especially in Texas and Alabama thus gaining a popular majority; it is Obama, however, who has the advantage, leading polls in most of the key ten battleground states.”

03.45

Interestingly, Romney has an edge in the popular vote count where he currently holds a lead of 50.5% to Obama’s 48.3%…

03.44

So, we’re in Southampton, watching the BBC coverage from London, which is going to various places across the U.S such as Nevada and Ohio. Geographically speaking, I’ve no idea what’s going on.

03.43

Looking like Mitt will take Arizona and North Carolina. Not confirmed, but a reliable estimation

03.42

A reverent silence in the stags is allowing the BBC commentary to really make sense. Its looking more hopeful for Obama fans. Its getting, to quote someone here, “past the point of no return.”

03.41

I (David) am going to sign off now. Barker will take over in The Stag’s Head, although we’re starting to lose even the hardcore voters. Peace.

03.40

And Fox News…rumours are they have started to claim instances of illegal voting in Ohio. Clutching. At. Straws.

03.38

Even Sarah Palin is forecasting a “disappointing evening”. If that doesn’t settle it I don’t know what does.

03.37

Speaking of Todd Adkin, Richard Mourdok – another man with a strange view of rape/abortion – has been lost his senate seat.

03.35

“It took us 2.5+ hours of standing in line, but …. and I voted. Thanks to everyone who supported democracy today, many other countries would die for the right many of us take for granted.”

True that.

03.34

Thought I’d share a few thoughts of people I know from the US of A:

Get outta here Todd Akin. Come back when you have a basic understanding of human biology.” - view of Todd Akin, who said that with ” legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down and shut down pregnancy”

03.33

Grouchiness setting in. Those sitting around me are getting rather irritable. Need some definitive results. Shame its a US election.

03.31

BBC starts to analyse womens’ vote and how Obama has kept them. Leads to discussion on how many Conservative Republicans have turned them off with their remarks. So many remarks that they get confused between who said what.

03.28

Apparently the Democrats are having a great night in the Senate, with 3 seats taken of the Republicans; a sign of an Democrat win

03.26

172-163 to Obama at the moment.

03.26

This news should awaken a few of the stagers then; Obama holds New Mexico and its five electoral college votes.

03.25

Rather post-apocalyptic.  People seem to be wandering around rather lost. But we have some cheers whenever the screen turns blue.

03.24

Apologies David. How’s the Stags looking?

03.23

Although it’s back to David again haha.

03.22

Speaking of Jeremy Vine, where has he gone? To bed?

03.22

But we really don’t think Obama will lose.

03.22

ONE FACT THOUGH: We called Obama ages ago. Ages before the BBC. Barker & Green – the new David Dimbleby & Jeremy Vine.

03.22

Gotta love Big Bird though. At the end of the day this is likely to be a weird election. Obama is doing well – regardless of whether he loses – despite having one of the worst economic backgrounds for a long time.

03.21

Slightly my fault; went on a Sesame Street-inspired rampage.

03.20

As you can see, it’s getting late and our bloggers are getting a bit crossed-over.

03.19

And PBS, the Public Broadcasting Service, is the home of BIG BIRD and, in fact, the whole street….leading to memes like this:

03.18

Stats woman – I’ve genuinely forgotten her name – seems to be edging towards Obama and confirming previous reports. By 4 we should be able to state even more clearer.

03.17

Just in reference to Big Bird, Romney said that he would cut PBS during the first presidential debate.

03.17

The many hours have frazzled brains and we’re getting to basic stats: “If there are more people in a state, there are more votes”

03.16

People are breaking into their own little conversations now. People seem to have taken our Obama advice.

03.15

BIG BIRD!

03.14

One person is very happy about this potential Obama win…

03.13

I’m no mathematician, but I know where I’d put my money…

03.12

According to this nice tool, Romney now only has nine ways to win. Obama has 118.

03.10

BBC aren’t too neutral here: “We’ve found a supporter who ACTUALLY supports Romney”. This supporter is pretty downbeat though.

03.09

Perhaps, instead, read this critical analysis of Obama’s first term in office.

03.08

Don’t though. We can’t. And you never know what could happen.

03.08

So we have declared Obama has won, so you might as well tune out and go to bed.

03.07

Indeed, Ohio certainly seems to be going for Obama…looking ahead with 53.6% of the vote..

03.06

Okay, I’m going to bold here. Obama has won. He has.

03.06

I’m inclined to agree with my non-Stags blogger.

03.05

Ohio is looking good for Obama. Madness sets in as people declare their “love for pie charts”

03.03

So with those two, that is another 9 for Mitt. Current standing is 162 to Romney and 157 to Obama.

03.02

If you’re gun-crazy you’re going to be a Republican. That’s what’s happened in Montana. And there’s a load of Mormons in Utah too.

03.02

The biggest news of the last half-an-hour was New Hampshire & Minnesota bringing 14 electoral college votes to Obama.

03.00

Polls close in 4 more states. Can people start sleeping peacefully?

03.00

If you’re still up…you’re doing well.

02.59

Getting technical with the polls now. It’s 3am and we’re probably still only half way through. Wonder how long this blog will last anyway.

02.59

To be honest, I thought Obama would win; but it was more the excitement that I might be able to go to bed.

02.59

BBC analyst thinks this is now Obama’s win. He believes the 201 before the election, the swings already won and the sign of the exit polls in Ohio indicate enough votes for the President.

02.58

Florida, Virginia and Ohio are going to be the major battles, according to the few who are actually awake or not staring blankly into the distance

02.57

Romney & Ryan have both lost their home states. Oh dear; they aren’t popular.

02.54

I got it as 290 to Obama v 248 Romney. But what do I know?!

02.53

To make sure you don’t go the same way, why not have fun with this little Beeb gadget? You can guess how you think the election will go!

02.53

He’s woken up now don’t worry. Major cheers as New Hampshire is called for Obama. Wonder will what it be like when it’s a big state.

02.52

Oh dear, David Gilani isn’t doing well, is he?

02.51

This is an increasingly common sight.

02.50

Mr Obama has taken Connecticut, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington DC; currently on 143 votes.

02.49

So, we’re more than half-way through…Mr Romney has won Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, West Virginia and Wyoming….standing on 153 electoral college votes

02.48

Spoken to a couple of people who are going to be heading home after Florida is announced. Could be a long wait then…

02.46

There’s a lot of empty glasses, empty burger boxes and I think people are just running on empty now. Yet we’re still waiting of key states Ohio and Florida.

02.45

Quote from our resident Romney fan: “If Romney doesn’t win Florida, I think it’s over for him”

02.44

I imagine he’ll be doing this a lot during it…

02.42

Apparently Obama is at dinner – at least according to his “high-pitched supporter”

02.42

Dramatic roars on screen. Back to the studio I assume…

02.42

No major upsets though; the biggest news of the night being that two swing states, Michigan and Pennsylvania, have been called in Obama’s favour.

02.41

Not sure if people are bored by the high-pitched Obama supporter on screen or actually asleep…

02.40

Time for a recap: 30 states called. Romney is 10 electoral college votes ahead with 153; Obama on 143.

02.39

We are some way from that yet however…

02.38

Numbers on the screen! Radical!

02.38

And the nice BBC women is telling us that if Obama holds all the states he won in 2008, he wins the election!

02.37

Another laptop change here in Stag’s. If only our technology could last as long as the BBC infographics.

02.36

Florida, infamously, created problems in 2000, where the final result of the election in which George W. Bush won – beating Al Gore – came down to a mere 540 votes in the state

02.35

UH-OH! Florida is at it again! Apparently with 70% of the votes counted, there is only 600 votes in it!

02.34

Wisconsin is, of course, the state of the Republican Vice-Presidential candiate Paul Ryan

02.33

So we’re hearing rumours that Wisconsin has gone towards Democrats…we’re keep you updated

02.31

Question; when the candidates vote, do they actually just put a tick by their own name? Must be a weird moment.

02.26

Quote of the night “Elections can’t be very good if you’re colour-blind”. I feel I should spell that ‘color’ for our America cousins, but Romney is winning at the moment, so one crazy decision at a time. (apologies for bias)

02.25

While not a traditional swing state, it will be blow to Romney who had moved much of his campaign into the state late in the electoral race; hoping to offset an potential Obama in Ohio.

02.24

FURTHER BREAKING NEWS: Pennsylvania has been called blue (aka. Democrat)

02.23

We’ve reached, as they say, a standstill. To quote someone in America – “we’re gunna be here all night”. Preach brother!

02.21

BREAKING NEWS: Republicans will look set to retain their majority in the House of Representatives.

02.21

Special mention to our first (and maybe only) comment of the night: Roxanne says “I’m actually nervous Obama will lose now!”

02.20

Sleeping. Random wooing and high fiving and an Obama mask on one of the tables near me.  Sleep deprivation is kicking in.

02.19

And moving on from the son of god, the vote stands at Obama with 123 and Romney on 153…

02.19

After seeing a shot of a queue for voting someone shouted ‘Jesus’. Not sure if that mean he spotted him or if he’s just surprised.

02.18

Interesting point from the Beeb. If Romney wins he’s got support from the house of the representatives. He’s also got a lot of enemies. Brilliant analysis of politics there.

02.17

And, in the interests of impartiality, Romney’s version of Gangnam style…

Download Video from YouTube | Convert to MP3 | Replay Media Catcher

02.16

Okay, so its not actually Obama, but hopefully it keeps you awake…

02.16

So lets console ourselves with a video of Obama doing everyone’s favourite South Korean pop-song dance…

02.15

Ohio, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Colorado – aka. the Swing States – are all still counting their votes! In fact, in some there is still voting going on!

02.15

Basically that means its going to be a loong, long, night…

02.14

I’ve been told to write POLARISATION. If someone knows what that means please tell me, apparently Florida is it…

02.13

Romney supporters (ok, the one guy I know who will admit to supporting him) has said he’s confident that Mitt will get Florida. He then said “If he gets Florida, yea I’m more confident”. Turning point? As for the atmosphere, I won’t lie – people are getting tired. Very very tired.

02.12

Indeed, some news; its too close to call…everywhere.

02.10

They’re leaving in droves now. Well, like 2 or 3 at a time. There’s one guy in front of me who is clearly preparing for sleep. ALSO A DRAW IN A POLL OR SOMETHING

02.09

It’s quite confusing, I know. Thats why you should probably read our Blagger’s Guide to the USA election. It explains EVERYthing there.

02.07

And, in Nebraska – with four out of five electoral votes in – goes to Romney. Nebraska (& Maine) are bit of abnormalities; they don’t use the winners-takes-all system of the other states.

02.06

We’ve had our first stumble. Our first stumble people. Expect a (pun intended) slippery slope to follow. The stag’s crowd is also slowly thinning out. To quote one man ‘I’m basically quite drunk and tired’. The person next to me is falling alseep. Only 2am. I’m going to need a coffee, soon!

02.05

And, guess what? None of those states have changed hands.

02.05

Kansas, Texas, Louisiana, North Dakota, South Dakota all stick with Romney.

02.04

Michigan and New York go to Obama.

02.03

Oh and a big wave of results coming through.

02.02

We’re hearing Arkansas has gone with Mr. Romney.

02.01

People look to be getting their laptops out for… ‘research’ purposes. Elsewhere we have Obama supporters wavering and also ardently going on about how he’s awesome. Romney fans quiet at the moment. Also the people near me are getting very ‘touchy-feely’. Please help.

02.01

Okay; correction from earlier. There has been one non-hold state in Indiana. It was a 1% democrat win in 2008, now won by Romney.

01.55

Bar staff are collecting up the many, many empty glasses – the pub quiz machines are being swamped and the pool table is active. Basically, nothing seems to be happening with this elections thing so its standard stags at the moment.

01.54

So why not check out some funny election memes?

01.53

On the election front, nothing is happening. Nothing at all.

01.51

We’re definitely settling in for the long run now. There are pizza picnics in front of us, bottles scattered all over tables and people wondering exactly why it is they decided to come to this when they’ve got a 9am tomorrow.

01.48

“Let detroit go bankrupt” said old Mitt

01.47

Somewhat ironic coming from a man who didn’t want to bail out the auto-industry in 2009.

01.47

Oh, attack ad time. Romney having a go at Obama for moving out auto-industry jobs to China.

01.45

And, just to confirm that this live-blogging thing isn’t useless, here’s another great comedic video…

01.43

The stags has now began talking about SUSU elections. I suppose it was inevitable but… well I was hoping we could make it a little longer without ‘what song should we lip dub this year’ coming up.

01.42

I’m now being told how useless me live blogging this elections thing is. Any other messages of support are welcome. Email everyonesacritic@susu.org… (don’t actually do that)

01.38

Random spontaneous clapping now. Not sure why. Probably something to do with the elections but it could be because some more burgers have shown up as well.

01.38

One word for this election so far; hold. No changes from the 2008 result anywhere.

01.37

So, to confirm, the Republicans hold Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama. Obama wins Democratic strongholds New Jersey and Connecticut.

01.37

We’ve swapped from one anonymous writer to another as our original writer is now just shouting ‘BOOZE’ in the stags… In the meantime the race tightens to 77 Obama and 76 Romney.

01.35

And the Republican stronghold of Tennessee….remains Republican.

01.35

Superstorm Sandy-hit New Jersey is projected as an Obama win

01.33

Add in some sleep-deprived madness to that too.

01.33

Alabama? A state that only made same-sex sexual activity legal in 2003 is Republican? Nooooo….you’re joking right?

01.31

It’s actually not too loud here. I think the tiredness is setting in. Although eyes on the screen as the first update of the night appears.

01.31

Romney has now confirmed its hold of Georgia and now also Alabama…

01.30

In other non-news; Obama has held Connecticut

01.29

Hopefully our Stag’s Correspondent will be back soonish

01.28

I imagine its getting crazy though; Barack-O-Burger being eaten, people drinking Coke…

01.26

I’m actually not at the Stags, so I can’t really say what is going on over there.

01.24

Oh, Obama supporter on the coverage. The words ‘Hope’ and ‘Change’ make their expected appearance.

01.22

No critical swing states have been awarded so far though. The battleground of Virginia looks locked into a dead heat; at least according to the exit polls…

01.21

So quick recap; the first states have been awarded, leaving it with Obama on 57 electoral college votes and Romney on 40…

01.18

That’s democracy in action.

01.17

In Virginia, polls closed around an hour ago. There are still large queues at voting stations though.

01.14

Going to have a quick laptop changeover here.

01.13

Some great terminology here: “The swingiest county in a swing state”. It basically means that they’re a fickle lot.

01.12

Interesting that Massachusetts has stayed Democratic, snubbing Mitt Romney, who was governor there from 2003-2007.

01.11

Here in Stag’s the crowd has dwindled slightly. Almost everyone has got an actual seat now.

01.10

David Dimbledy laughs on screen. A puppy dies.

01.06

Currently 56-40 to Obama.

01.05

Bit of a mouthful that one.

01.05

Obama is projected to hold the Democratic states of Maryland, Maine, the District of Columbia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Delaware and Rhode Island.

01.04

Romney confirms win in South Carolina and takes Georgia.

01.03

And away from fast food, we have some breaking news…

01.02

Barack-O-Burger’s with Romney Rings being sold at the Stags for an essence of America.

01.01

Cheers coming in a bar on the BBC coverage; what’s going on?!

01.00

People in the Stag’s are taking evidently shorter toilet breaks. Not sure at this stage that not washing your hands will mean you miss anything critical…

00.58

Jeremy did look like he got smacked in the face by a bar graph though.

00.58

Those infographics are quite a nice distraction, aren’t they?

00.57

The essence of this is that when unemployment is this bad, the President doesn’t get re-elected. There’s of course a lot of factors at play here.

00.56

Under Obama, it currently stands at 7.9%. Oh dear. Will Barack buck the trend?

00.55

To be fair, he is talking about interesting stats; how incumbents with high unemployment rates – around 7.5% – have failed to be re-elected since 1970.

00.54

Oh, Jeremy’s back. Look at all that colour!

00.53

Some random, rather inconsistent shouts for Romney here. Some rather stern looks received in reply.

00.53

You could probably disappear for a coffee break. Obama may be stuck at three points for the next hour or so; Romney’s tally will continue to climb..

00.50

Apologies for the short break from the Stag’s end; this blogger just received free pizza.

00.50

Or, if you rather, a rant about why a Romney win would be bad for both America & the world?

00.48

So why not pass the time with a nice article assessing Obama’s first term in office?

00.46

You can tell when they’re waiting for new votes. Everything really slows down both here and on the screen.

00.43

And….the polls show Obama with 51% of the vote: Romney on 49%. Bad news for old Mitt there; no Republican has ever won the presidency without winning this “bellwether” state

00.43

More interesting, however, is the first exit polls from Ohio – the state which has backed the successful candidate in every election since 1960.

00.42

Best news of the night for many – pizzas have arrived. Instead of a Meatilicious, it’s being termed a ‘Mittilicious’. Oh dear me.

00.40

Ooh we’re being showed all the attack ads now.

00.39

South Carolina called for Romney: 33-3.

00.39

Indeed, no surprise that one. More predictable than Bruce Willis being dead in the Sixth Sense.

00.35

As we’ve said before, all very natural. We’ve not got to any of the real ‘battleground states’

00.33

Romney win West Virginia. 24-3

00.32

Apparently the short intro music to US2012 BBC coverage was orchestrated by a Southampton music lecturer.

00.31

In other news (still election-related, just not presidential); Richard Mourdock – the man who said pregnancies caused by rape were part of “God’s plan” – is leading in the Indiana senate race by just 2,000 votes, with 7% of precincts in….deary me.

00.30

Quick Stag’s straw poll: 11-4 to Obama. If only elections were so simple…

00.22

Just need to clear something up for election novices. Yes, Romney is winning…but that was expected. It’s just because of the way the votes are ordered.

00.21

Romney appears on a screen to a general sound of hissing, bar the Conservative Society.

00.20

Rumours of long queues still outside voting booths in Virginia; its looking to be a close battle there, so some people are in for a long, long night.

00.18

Get your real time elections updates here. Unnamed people sitting next to me are getting ‘real time pizza updates’. Priorities.

00.17

“Hispanics and Black Americans are very different” Insightful stuff tonight.

00.14

It’s Jeremy Vine-time on the BBC and that only means one thing; infographic acid-trip

00.14

Looking at ethnicity and how voting differs across the years. Meanwhile, only 10 minutes left to consume beverages.

00.12

Discussions starting now on how exactly people are going to sustain themselves throughout the night.

00.09

People in the Stag’s still don’t seem to have noticed results have actually started…

00.07

No surprises there then; Romney in early 19-3 lead.

00.07

Vermont (three) has been called for Obama.

00.06

Kentucky (11 electoral college votes) and Indiana (eight) have been called as Romney wins.

00.04

And we’re off! The first results are in!

00.03

We’ve got 20 minutes to drink up. Sounds like a challenge to me.

00.02

Credit to David Gilani for finding that gem

23.59

Still rather slow. So have some comedic videos.

23.56

An American person is now talking and people seem to have switched off.

23.55

It’s all quite slow at the moment. Lots of men in suits standing around and talking.

23.55

Just to note it’s not just Richard Windsor doing blog entries. We’re using his account for convenience.

23.54

Basically running through the background of the day’s activities at the moment.

23.52

Definitely a lot of dedicated here tonight. Quite a few people just sitting around on the floor.

23.49

Back to the ‘all important map’ again

23.47

BBC coverage moves onto the Swing States… basically, you can’t win the election without them

23.45

We’ve got Alastair ‘Moggy’ Mogford doing some sporadic photography for us at the moment. 

23.43

We sure do love some infographics here at the Stags. Eyes are transfixed on the screen.

23.43

Shameless plug here, but remember to check out some of other election coverage here.

23.41

Oh and the political puns are following already; ‘Do you want a stimulus package of chocolate’

23.41

We’re just discussing the other awful candidates for the Republicans. Consensus is Romney is the best of a bad bunch.

23.38

And now the BBC’s coverage starts. Bit of an argument about the sound volume currently.

23.37

Oh, and Captain America is at the bar. If suddenly stop posting; either things have kicked off or the queue at the bar has gotten longer than we anticipated.

23.35

Interesting little fact, some betting agencies have already given out winnings for those who bet on Obama. They reckoned that Romney will be better remembered more for his gaffes than his policies. Lol.

23.26

If you’ve got anything you want featured or mentioned, use Twitter with #stagselections12.

23.17

In other news: Hot drink & a Danish is £2. Hot dog & a soft drink for £2.50. There are teas and coffees for £1.00.

23.15

Bars staff are now putting up American flags around the venue to set the scene. An anonymous insider has however told me they’ve been printed on paper.

23.11

For starters, there are 2-for-1 pizzas with AN ALL NEW BBQ Chicken flavour.

23.09

And to support the night ahead, The Stag’s has a number of great deals on…

23.08

We’re online! Welcome to our coverage from the Stag’s Head. It’s pretty packed in here at the moment, but time will tell how many people are here for results.

23.04

Hello world. Testing

One Comment »

• Roxanne

I’m actually nervous Obama will lose now!