Cameron gets his foot stuck in it, again

0

Well, how about that. In the last week it seems we’ve pretty much come full circle with regards to the paedophile issue. Child molestation, paedophilia, gays and other members of the LGBT community being targeted through a misconception that they’re paedophiles, child porn, priests, Jimmy Savile now the fear of a return to the gay witch-hunt. All brought about because of David Cameron saying what in his mind was the right thing but ending up with having it blown out of proportion: “There is a danger, if we’re not careful, that this can turn into a sort of witch-hunt, particularly against people who are gay.”

Cameron troubled by the availability of the list of names

Honestly, as someone who does fit into one of the LGBT categories, I don’t think he meant any harm to the community with his comment. He was on the spot on live TV and, unless you’re someone incredibly gifted with words and finding the right ones to get exactly your meaning across first time round, his comments will always be criticised because at least one person will interpret them wrongly.

My meaning to his words would be more along the lines of: “We’re treading in dangerous waters here. If names of people presumed to be paedophiles are available on-line, it could easily lead to vigilantes taking the law onto themselves and going after these people. This could in turn lead to a return to the misconception that gays are paedophiles as these vigilantes search wildly for a new set of scapegoats, which is not what we want.”
As he also rightfully added and is rarely quoted or mentioned for saying, the police exist for this very purpose – citizens can go to them with possible suspects who will then be investigated by competent people, not by some guy who can barely understand how he came into being and can’t believe that The Only Way Is Essex is actually scripted. I know, that last one’s a shocker, isn’t it?

Moral of the story is, if you take sentences out of context all hell breaks loose. That’s what the mass-media thrives on. How many of you were actually watching This Morning? Here’s a video I found of the full discussion: 

There as so many ways to interpret his words that hearing it again and again it could even sound like he knows that at least one of the names on the list is of a gay person. I don’t believe this is the case, but it just shows how open to interpretation his words can be. The simple solution is to stop listening to the media and make your own opinion. Whatever you do afterwards is up to you, but I recommend keeping it legal.

More articles in LGBT
  1. Here’s (Nearly) Everything You Need to Know About the Australian Equal Marriage Vote
  2. Why Asexual Awareness Week Is Important
  3. LGBT Network gains public presence on Facebook & plans LGBT History Month
  4. Malaysian Government Performing Seminars to Teach Parents and Teachers How to Spot Gay Kids
  5. Kill the Gays – A Fight Against Ugandan Oppression
  6. Brighton Pride Review
  7. Campaign started for a Southampton Pride event
  8. Two Gay Jamaicans Contest The Island’s Homophobic Laws
  9. Media Highlights Worrying Trend Of Gay Conversion Therapy
  10. Obama’s Promise for LGBT Equality Rivals Mitt Romney’s Shocking Policies
  11. Outraged Cardinal Keith O’Brien Wins Bigot Of The Year Award
  12. Homophobia in the UK?
  13. Shocking “Call Me Kuchu” Tells Ugandan LGBT’s Tragic Struggle For Safety
  14. Cameron gets his foot stuck in it, again
  15. America Approves of the LGBT Community
  16. Kill The Gays Bill to pass as ‘Christmas gift’ to Ugandans
  17. Sir Ian McKellen Stands Up Against Homophobic Bullying
  18. Uganda Drops Death Penalty From “Kill The Gays” Bill
  19. First Gay Mosque Of Europe Opens In Paris
  20. Same-sex Marriage To Become Legal In 2013
  21. Iowa Becomes The First Public University To Ask Applicants If They Are Gay
  22. BBC Report Shows Gay TV Characters Are Under Represented
  23. Amsterdam Celebrates Drag Queen Winter Olympics 2012
  24. 10 Overlooked LGBT News Stories of 2012
  25. Berlusconi Says Yes To Gay Marriage – But Will He Keep His Word?
  26. ‘Sugar Rush’ Writer’s Bigoted Transphobia Published
  27. Hampshire ‘Top Police Force 2013’ for LGB
  28. Gay Marriage Is A ‘Category Error’
  29. Private: The Gay Agenda Marches On
  30. Private: Same Sex Marriage Legalised for England and Wales
  31. Private: The Gay Best Friend Myth
  32. MPs in Uganda Pass Anti-Homosexual Bill
  33. The LGBT Pride Flag – Do we really need to include Black and Brown stripes for POC?

Pagan, bi-sexual and caffeine drinker by necessity. Also Physics student, Twitter (ab)user, co-Head of Marketing and Web for Southampton University's Formula Student Team. So much for giving up my day job! On here I'm one of the LGBT Series writers. :)