Image by Diogo Lopes

The ‘Petition for the Truth’ is a request to all world leaders to inform the public of any information they hold regarding the Mayan prophecy, that the world will end on 21st December 2012. John Kehne, who began the petition on 20th February 2012, does not actually claim that politicians have any information, but pleads that if they do, they should step forward, as the confused public has the right to know if something is going to happen. Kehne asserts that “Something just doesn’t feel right”: but is this enough to suggest a political cover-up?

The ‘Petition for the Truth’ is based around the Mayan Prophecy that 21st December 2012 is the end of the 5,125 year long cycle in the Mayan calendar. According to the prophecy, the gods created three worlds which failed, and then a successful fourth world, the one we live in today. The Mayans believe that because the previous world ended after 13 b’ak’tuns (a time period in the Mayan calendar) that is how long the fourth world will exist for, thus ending on 21st December 2012.

Out of fear that there may be truth to the Mayan prophecy, some have turned to our world leaders for answers. Those who believe that politicians around the world are withholding information claim there has been an increase in the building of government sponsored underground bunkers, alongside governmental hoarding of necessities, such as food and water. Meanwhile Fema (Federal Emergency Management Agency), in the United States of America, are believed, by some, to be preparing camps for the survivors of this apparently impending doom. These people who have signed the petition believe that governments are only warning the ‘elite’ and the ‘worthy’, and are keeping the ‘unworthy’ in the dark to avoid mass panic. Petitioners point to this ‘evidence’ as proof that our governments are covering-up information about the Mayan prophecy, but are acting to protect themselves.

The online petition has so far been signed by 4,559 people, ranging from Australia to the Netherlands. One petitioner, Austin Hilterbran from the U.S., said he signed the petition because “We have the right to know as much as you do, so we can at least prepare for what is going to happen.” Sandra Buessing, also from the U.S., said she signed the petition “because the Government is corrupt and Liars, and WE THE PEOPLE, have a RIGHT to the truth!!” showing the signatories’ belief that politicians are indeed hiding information from the public.

“We have the right to know as much as you do, so we can at least prepare for what is going to happen.”

Austin Hilterbran
Petitioner

Last summer, The Sun reported that Ian Crane predicted that an alien invasion would be staged at the Olympic Games’ closing ceremony, allowing the authorities to declare martial law in preparation for December 2012. However, this fake alien invasion did not occur, suggesting there is no political conspiracy to keep the public in the dark. Also, the indications that the government are withholding information appear to simply be conjecture; even Kehne admits that he does not know whether the government actually has any information.

Whether the world leaders know anything or not, there is vast evidence to suggest that nothing untoward will occur on 21st December 2012. Many scholars have disputed the Mayan prophesy, with some suggesting that this date will not be the end of the world, but may represent another significant event, such as a spiritual transformation. Also, Mayanist scholars Linda Schele and David Freidel claimed in 1990 that the Mayan civilization did not believe this date to mark the end of humanity, but that there will be another cycle after this one ends on 21st December 2012.

Furthermore, inscriptions have been found showing the Mayans referring to future events beyond 21st December 2012, suggesting they did not consider this date to be the end of the world. Also, in 2012, researchers discovered that Mayan astronomical tables revealed they believed there would be at least 17 b’ak’tuns, disputing the claim that the Mayans prophesied that the world will end after the 13th b’ak’tun.

Many see recent natural disasters as warnings of the impending doom; for example Hurricane Sandy, or the most powerful earthquake to hit Japan, which occurred on March 11th 2011.

Whether there is any truth in this Mayan prophesy or not, fear and uncertainty has spread, causing panic in some areas. Many see recent natural disasters as warnings of the impending doom; for example Hurricane Sandy, or the most powerful earthquake to hit Japan, which occurred on March 11th 2011. A NASA website, Ask an Astrobiologist, has apparently received over 5000 questions on this topic since 2007, including questions of whether humans should consider suicide: apparently, one suicide has been linked to a fear of the world ending in 2012.

Is this what’s in store for us?

However, despite the anxiety of some, others are making light of the predictions: on 28th December 2011, The Sun, writing about the prophecy of the world ending, commented that, “And if it does [end], at least I won’t have to do the washing up.”, while a Super Bowl advert, showing a Chevy surviving the Mayan Apocalypse, poked fun at the predictions.

Despite assertions from NASA scientists that only another winter solstice, and not the end of the world, will occur on 21st December 2012, those behind the ‘Petition for the Truth’ still believe the government are withholding information from the public. It seems unlikely that the petition, which still requires 5,440 signatures, will achieve anything; it seems unlikely that there is a political cover-up over knowledge of the world ending; and it seems unlikely that anything will actually happen on 21st December 2012, except opening the 21st door on our advent calendars.

This article is an extended version of one that appeared in Issue Four of the Wessex Scene.

One Comment »

• MS

Fuckin Freemasons playing with us