01.59

That rounds up our debate today.

01.58

Julian: “Don’t be the 63% who vote for no one.”

01.57

Cyril smith, expenses, cash for questions all cited as reasons why the fringe parties get votes.

01.56

James mentions SUSU’s living wage aims.

01.56

Catherine: Make sure you vote and check up on your representatives.

01.55

Alexandra launches an attack on Labours policies, as a former Labour person.

01.55

Alexandra brings her youth compared to some of the other candidates into the debate.

01.54

Alex: “Every single vote counts”

01.53

Tories are the only party that will give you a referendum – Marta

01.53

Marta: Always aim to get the right person into a position of power. You can never claim they didn’t do what you want.

01.52

Some candidates dispute James’ claim that Labour is “centre-left”

01.52

Final question from David, a politics and history student: Does it really matter who he votes for and why should he vote for them?

01.52

Julian can understand why the question was asked but doesn’t feel they as candidats have any say on the issue.

01.52

Alex reaffirms the Green party’s policy on the issue.

01.45

It’s not often that the Conservative’s full name of “The Conservative and Unionist party” is heard!

01.45

James: Each member have to follow the same path so by saying Scotland can going another way, Alex Salmon are deluding the Scottish people.

01.44

Steve: England would also be pulled out of the EU if Scotland go independent.

01.44

Catherine: Rules are already set out, it would take them a long time even if they do qualify leaving them in no mans land. Also, they would need a unanimous vote from the council and Spain won’t allow that precedent.

01.44

Question from Matthew: If Scotland votes for independence would you let them in?

01.43

Julian is finding it difficult to comment because the constitution that he wrote means he should remain impartial so that the voice of the voters is heard.

01.43

Catherine: Leveson has exposed the scare stories and we should complain if they’re published.

01.43

Catherine: Migrants claiming benefits are a tiny minority, 7% are opening small businesses that drive our economy.

01.43

Selling off of school fields, closing hospitals and why aren’t we building twelve lane motorways mentioned by Steve.

01.42

Links to the economic downturn, “dog whistle politics” from UKIP and a level playing field are key points for James.

01.41

James: “The politics of fear”

01.41

Marta: UK needs to control who comes and goes, what they’re doing and what they claim.

01.39

Alexandra: I’m not going to apologise for former immigration – they’re essential to our society.

01.39

Question from David: How could the rhetoric around immigration and race be changed?

01.39

Julian: Freedom and security are essential to your voice.

01.38

Danny: Why is this control even needed?

01.38

James: We can’t have terrorism but we can’t have unbalanced mining of information either. Also mentions the former collection of data about construction workers to create a black list.

01.38

Steve: It’s all very 1984 and the BBC don’t cover this issue.

01.37

Catherine: EU doesn’t have any policy on data transfer across borders. That needs to change.

01.37

Questions from the floor: Hector asks about Edward Snowden and spying by the NSA, GCHQ and others. What are their opinions on this?

01.37

James using SUSUtv’s stream to publicly announce a Labour promise!

01.36

Alex also wants to support Erasmus, campaign to stay in Europe and brings in some Westminster politics in the form of 9k fees.

01.36

Tackling monopolies, defending animal rights, and improving the standing of women and the LGBT community are high on the agenda for Alexandra and the Greens.

01.36

Catherine argues that she would focus on European issues, environmental issues and stop human trafficking across and into Europe. She also explains how the European parliament is different from Westminster and how she would stay in contact.

01.35

Steve brings up university fees and prescription charges when discussing inequality between nations.

01.34

Our first question: How would the lives of the students change if they vote for you?

01.34

Now that we’ve heard all seven of our speakers give their five minute introduction, we are reminded to register to vote and use the hashtag.

01.34

Add in the QR code on his hoodie and his interaction with the audience is showing he’s ‘down with the kids’.

01.34

Our sixth speaker is Julian James from new party YourVoice.

01.33

The 2011 Census data is getting a good airing here with the numbers of people who identified as English and British being mentioned.

01.28

Make sure you register to vote for the election – must be done by the 6th of May at www.aboutmyvote.co.uk and make sure you vote on the 22nd!

01.28

This event is getting quite a bit of attention with the BBC dropping in and a good selection of students listening to what our speakers have to say.

17.09

And that’s a wrap folks. Sorry for the slow start, took us a while to get going but hopefully we ended on a sprint. Don’t forget to register to vote, and of course, to then vote. Peace!

17.05

SUSU will be running minibuses to polling stations if you find it difficult to get away from campus.

17.04

“Capitalism only runs one way”.

17.03

Danny “I urge you to spoil your ballot if you feel unsatisfied with today’s politics”.

17.02

Julian railing against apathy.

17.01

Steve does not think much of the ‘fringe party’ label.

17.00

James: the Green party talk left and act right.

16.59

Danny doesn’t look happy. Will he get a chance to speak?

16.58

“You need MEPs who truly want to contribute to the argument, unlike UKIP”.

16.57

Catherine: in the current system, the Liberals hold the sway of power.

16.56

Alexandra is another defector, leaving Labour after the invasion of Iraq.

16.55

Alexandra addressing how the voting system for the European Elections gives smaller parties a greater voice and ability to shape change.

16.54

“If you don’t vote for the Conservative Party, we don’t get to have our referendum that we are owed”.

16.53

“The financial crisis within Europe has yet to be truly resolved”.

16.52

Marta: you are young and should never register a protest vote. Don’t waste this opportunity.

16.51

James talking about the safety regulations that flow from the EU – “I didn’t die choking on my toy as a child”.

16.47

Alexandra focusing her argument on human rights. Does that apply in this instance?

16.45

Marta, as a Spaniard, offering her take on Catalan. Thinks Scotland would need to re-apply.

16.44

“We need to stay together in the EU”.

16.43

James: Alex Salmond is giving the Scottish a false perspective.

16.42

Steve make a very forceful argument for why independence won’t be a problem. Tells Catherine not to “shake her head”.

16.41

Mentions the issue of Catalonian independence.

16.40

Catherine: it would take Scotland a very long time to gain admission.

16.38

Julian: I have seen first-hand the benefits of migration.

16.35

“80 people own more than billions of humans”.

16.34

And there’s our first curse of the day.

16.33

Danny “… for me, planet Earth is home to all humans”.

16.32

Woo Woo, next stop – Brussels!

16.32

Talking about the cynicism around the EU and  the “gravy train”.

16.31

Stressing the importance of using welfare figures accurately.

16.30

Catherine linking today’s political climate to the 1930’s.

16.29

“And it’s about competency. There’s no long-term plan when it comes to immigration policy”.

16.28

“If people wanted mass immigration, then I wouldn’t mind”.

16.28

Steve: “it’s not about fear, it’s about democracy”.

16.26

James: the politics of fear is being employed by many parties, directing his comment particularly at Marta.

16.24

Marta a defector from UKIP.  She was not happy with their use of immigration figures (she herself is Spanish).

16.23

“A vote for the Greens would be a vote for a positive protest party”.

16.21

“Our NHS would be on its knees without immigrants”.

16.21

Alexandra “access to housing and jobs must be equitable”.

16.19

Bit of an non-answer there from Steve.

16.18

Danny back to lecturing about capitalism. Has he wasted an opportunity to apply socialism in a meaningful way to the original question?

16.16

“We work alongside the Pirate Party” – Alexandra.

16.15

James detailing how his MEP colleagues have been working to limit these activities.

16.14

Catherine believes the EU should fight mass surveillance.

16.12

Couldn’t quite make out the thrust of Marta’ argument there.

16.08

Talking about how the EU’s one size fits all approach does not work.

16.06

Red tape and investment is Marta’s opening gambit.

16.05

James – “there is a possibility in the upcoming EU-US trade deal of a backdoor privatisation of the NHS. Labour will fight this”.

16.04

James remembers the name of the person who originally asked our first question. We’re dealing with a pro here people.

16.02

“Greens the only major party opposed to tuition fees”.

16.01

Alexandra mentioning the Green’s opposition to fracking.

16.00

Catherine talking about the environment and trafficking. Can you tackle either of those without the EU?

15.58

Steve keeping his answer focused on English students. What will any foreign students present think?

15.54

Danny gets the first noticeable laugh from the audience. Clearly he doesn’t think he much of his chances.

15.53

Now we move on to fun part of the day – questions from the audience.

15.52

James doesn’t look impressed, not even a clap there at the end. That’s New Labour for you.

15.49

And there’s the each to his need quote.

15.48

“The EU is just another capitalist structure of oppression”.

15.47

Finally it is Danny Lambert from the Socialist Party. You can guess what his first point was – capitalism!

15.45

Putting emphasis on the your.

15.44

And he seems to know it, cracking a joke about not “learning his script”.

15.43

He’s spending a lot of time looking at his prepared notes.

15.40

Julian starting off his piece with a Monty Python joke. He knows his audience well.

15.39

He also considers Alex Salmond the best politician in the UK and Scottish Independence inevitable.

15.37

He’s delivering an historical overview of the constitutional makeup of the UK.

15.36

Next is Steve Uncles for the English Democrats. 

15.35

Fourth was the Conservative Party’s Marta Andreasen. She was stressing the importance of not wasting your vote by voting for a protest party. Which parties do you think she was referring to?

15.28

Third was Labour’s James Watkins.

15.26

Second was the Green candidate, Alexandra Phillips

15.21

Up first was the Lib Dem candidate, Catherine Bearder. 

15.17

Hello everyone and welcome to the Wessex Scene’s liveblog for today’s European Elections hustings, currently taking place on campus in the Bridge.

One Comment »

• Hmm

Wouldn’t it have been better to put the names of the parties rather than the people representing them next to the comments?
    I lost track of who was saying what about halfway through.