The Wessex Scene gives you a chance to catch up every Wednesday on the progress made by scientists around the world in the past week.

Wednesday 20th July – World’s Largest Split Magnet Attracts Attention:

Scientists in America have built the worlds largest split magnet – a magnet of two halves with a central cavity in which to conduct experiments. The device cost £1.5 million and can create a magnetic field 500,000 times stronger than the earth’s own.

Read more 

Thursday 21st July – Shuttle Atlantis Sinks Back To Earth Safely:

Scientists and technicians at the Kennedy Space Center have safely brought back to Earth the space shuttle Atlantis. The shuttle had been used to build the NASA Space Station and support the Hubble Telescope during its thirty year programme.

Read more

Friday 22nd July – Higgs Boson Possibly Discerned At LHC:

Scientists working at the Large Hadron Collider have reported unexplained peaks in their data. Both the Atlas and CMS detectors at Cern independently noticed the anomalies. One scientist working at the Atlas detector described the results as ‘intriguing’.

Read more

Saturday 23rd July – Red Planet Rover’s Landing Spot Decided:

NASA have confirmed the landing destination of their rover Curiosity to be the 150km diameter super-crater on Mars’ surface. The rover will analyse martian rocks to help scientists explore the planet’s geological history.

Read more

Sunday 24th July – Higgs Boson Possibility at US Lab:

Two days after similar glimpses at the European LHC, data gathered from the Tevatron detector near Chicago gives a suggestion of a new phenomena in the predicted energy band of the Higgs Boson, between 140 and 145 GeV.

Read more

Monday 25th July – Age-Related Brain Shrinking Unique To Humans:

Scientists have discovered that unavoidable long-term brain shrinking is unique to our species. The phenomena was also thought to occur in chimps but studies performed in the past week confirm that this is not the case.

Read more

Tuesday 26th July – S.A. Dolphins Can ‘Feel’ Electric Fields:

South American Guiana dolphins have been found to possess electric field sensors. The sensors were discovered in depressions along the dolphins’ noses. The only other mammal thought to have such a capability is the platypus.

Read more